2011-12 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
ELON (13-10/8-4) AT CHATTANOOGA (9-16/3-9)
Game 26 | Feb. 9, 2012 | 7 p.m. | McKenzie Arena (10,928)
Listen to "Voice of the Mocs" Jim Reynolds' call on ESPN 105.1 FM in Chattanooga, pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to game time. Live audio (free) available via MocsVision on GoMocs.com where you can find live stats link as well.
The Elon contest can be viewed online (ESPN3.com). Darren Goldwater (PxP) and former James Madison head coach and SoCon student-athlete (Davidson) Dean Keener (analysis) are on the call.
• BLACKOUT SATURDAY: This Saturday's contest against UNCG will be a blackout at McKenzie Arena. Fans are encouraged to wear black to the game.
• ALL SOCON GAMES: BI-LO is partnering with the Chattanooga Mocs to offer the BI-LO BOGO promotion for SoCon games this season. Just show your BI-LO Bonus Card at the ticket gate on game day for a Mocs SoCon game to buy one ticket and get one free.
• SOCON SATURDAY GAMES: SoCon Saturday package includes ticket and food for each Saturday league game throughout the season. It includes one reserved ticket and a food voucher for a small coke, popcorn and pizza all for $10. Ticket package must be purchased in advance by calling 266-MOCS (6627) or by visiting the UTC Gate One Ticket Office or online at GoMocs.com using "Saturday" promo code in ADVANCE of game day.
• ALL GAMES: There is a special code to use in purchasing single game tickets. Fans can buy general admission tickets for just $4 when using the promo code ITSTIME when buying on GoMocs.com and printing the tickets at home. Offer expires 2 hours before tipoff of the game in question.
• Just the 20th meeting with Elon with UTC holding a 10-9 advantage...series began on Dec. 20, 2003...the Phoenix are the most infrequent opponent of any SoCon school for the Mocs.
• Elon is 14-10, 8-4 in the SoCon North Division...started 7-2 with wins over South Carolina and at Princeton.
• Jack Isenbarger leads a trio of double-digit scorers for the Phoenix at 13.1 points per game hitting 38.3 percent from three-point range...Lucas Troutman (12.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg) and Austin Hamilton (10.8 ppg, 3.2 apg) join him...Hamilton has missed the last three games due to injury.
• Elon has won three straight and five of the last six to take the lead in the SoCon North.
• Chattanooga plays three of its next four at home. It starts this weekend with Elon (Thur.) and UNCG (Sat.). After a mid-week trip to Appalachian State next Wednesday, the Mocs return home Saturday (Feb. 18) with The Citadel visiting.
• 20th meeting with Elon with UTC holding a 10-9 advantage, 9-8 in regular-season league play.
• Senior Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.) continues to climb the Mocs record book. He is now 7th on the DI era scoring list just one point south of sixth (David Phillips - 1,157) with 1,156 points. He is also in the top 10 in field goals attempted (5th, 934), 3pt field goals made (9th, 150), 3pt field goals attempted (6th, 425). Other potential top 10 lists for Taylor:
10, Phillips, 400
Taylor, 12, 385
10, Phillips, 272
Taylor, 16, 236
10, Casey Long, 367
Taylor, 17, 314
• The Mocs lead the SoCon in assists (15.0) and FG% defense (39.9). Senior captain Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.) leads in assists at 6.4 per contest and assist-turnover ratio (2.3).
• UTC has limited 11 opp. to less than 40% FG this season (school record is 15 in 2004-05).
• Keegan Bell's 161 assists this season in No. 6 on the Mocs' record list, 13 behind Tyrone Enoch (1990-91).
• Lance Stokes has made 17 straight FT & 19 of last 20 (95.0%).
• Dontay Hampton is averaging 9.8 pts, 2.8 reb & 1.3 steals per game over last 4 (21.5 mpg).
• Drazen Zlovaric is averaging 11.5 pts & 7.1 reb per HOME game (60.4% FG).
• Opponents shoot 35.3% FG and 27.6% 3pt in McKenzie Arena compared to 45.4% FG & 34.2% for the Mocs.
Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.)
- Leads the SoCon in assists at 6.4 per game while ranking eighth nationally.
- Leads SoCon in assist/turnover ratio (2.3)...42nd in the country.
- Made the 2012 Bob Cousy Award Watch List for second straight year...MVP of Dr Pepper Classic.
- Mocs career assist leader with 502...passed Tim Brooks (1992-93) and Wes Moore (1996-99) on a feed to Ronrico White with 8:12 left in the game at Kentucky...his 161 assists this season is 6th-best...he holds the 3rd (182, 2010-11), 6th (current) and 7th (159 - 2009-10) best season marks in school history.
- 3 assists short of 600 in collegiate career including the 95 he tallied as a freshman (2007-08) at Vanderbilt.
- 8th all-time in 3pt FG Made with 153 behind Omar Wattad (155), and ahead of Ricky Taylor (150)...Brandon Born (1992-95) is sixth with 159.
- 3rd in career 3pt FG Attempted with 510...Keddric Mays (2006-07) is second with 516, while Stephen McDowell (2008-09) is first with 611.
- Eight career 20-point games...33 games with double digit scoring numbers...has led the team in scoring thrice this season, 11 times in his career.
- 56 career five-plus assist games including 19 this season...10 or more assists nine times, four in 2011-12.
- Made four or more threes 17 times in two-plus seasons.
Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.)
- Graduated with a degree in accounting on December 17, 2011...then immediately drove to Lexington, Ky., as the Mocs took on Kentucky that evening where he had a career-best five assists.
- Scored 1,000th career point in win over Longwood on a 3pt bucket...18th UTC student-athlete in the DI era (1977-78) to accomplish it...currently seventh in scoring (1,156)...one from David Phillips (1997-00) in sixth with 1,157.
- SoCon Ranks: 15th in scoring (12.8), 7th in 3pt% (41.1) and 10th in FT% (77.8).
- 12th at UTC in FGM with 385, 10 behind Johnny Taylor (1996-97) with 395...looking to become 11th student-athlete in DI era with 400 FGM...5th in FGA with 934, eight away from Lance Fulse (1985-88) with 942.
- 9th all-time in 3pt FG Made at 150 behind Wattad and Bell...6th in 3pt FGA (425), trailing Wes Moore (1996-99) in fifth with 455.
- Led the Mocs in each of the last two seasons in free throws made (151 total) and leads this year with 77...16th with 236 in his career...Ashley Champion (2003-04) is 15th with 237.
- Career FT% (75.2) is fifth among those who have shot 300 or more.
- 64 double-digit scoring nights for his career, 18 in 2011-12...10 career 20-pt games...led team in scoring eight times this season, 25 times in career.
Omar Wattad (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Second in the SoCon in 3pt FG made per game (2.9) ranking 20th nationally.
- Other SoCon ranks: 12th in scoring (13.0 ppg) and 11th in 3pt% (38.3) which is 48th-best in nation.
- Made 100th trey against Warren Wilson...7th in career treys made with 155...Born is 6th with 159.
- Scored his 700th career point at Elon...now stands at 754 (830 including Georgetown stats).
- 25 points at Elon topped his 24 points in season opener at IU...three 20-point efforts in 2011-12, 10 career...36 career double-digit scoring games, 15 in 2011-12.
Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia)
- SoCon Ranks: 6th in rebounding (6.8), 4th in defensive boards (5.4) and 5th in FG% (52.6).
- Game-high 10 boards in 1st collegiate action in more than a year at Indiana.
- 15 double-figure scoring nights...7 or more rebounds in 14 of 25 games...six double-digit rebounding games with four double-doubles.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.