2011-12 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
UNCG (10-15/8-5) AT CHATTANOOGA (10-16/4-9)
Game 27 | Feb. 11, 2012 | 7:30 p.m. | McKenzie Arena (10,928)
Listen to "Voice of the Mocs" Jim Reynolds' call on ESPN 105.1 FM in Chattanooga, pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to game time. Live video (subscription) and audio (free) available via MocsVision on GoMocs.com where you can find live stats link as well.
REGENCY JEWELERS DIAMOND GIVEAWAY
Blackout conditions are in effect Saturday for UTC's doubleheader. The Lady Mocs square off at 5 p.m., against College of Charleston, prior to the Mocs and Spartans at 7:30. Fans are encouraged to wear black. Black t-shirts and pom poms will be handed out prior to both games.
One lucky fan will win a half-carat round cut diamond from Rone Regency Jewelers. There will be 1,000 imitation diamonds given out and those fans will need to take the imitation to Rone Regency to see if they are the winner.
- ALL SOCON GAMES: BI-LO is partnering with the Chattanooga Mocs to offer the BI-LO BOGO promotion for SoCon games this season. Just show your BI-LO Bonus Card at the ticket gate on game day for a Mocs SoCon game to buy one ticket and get one free.
- SOCON SATURDAY GAMES: SoCon Saturday package includes ticket and food for each Saturday league game throughout the season. It includes one reserved ticket and a food voucher for a small coke, popcorn and pizza all for $10. Ticket package must be purchased in advance by calling 266-MOCS (6627) or by visiting the UTC Gate One Ticket Office or online at GoMocs.com using "Saturday" promo code in ADVANCE of game day.
- ALL GAMES: There is a special code to use in purchasing single game tickets. Fans can buy general admission tickets for just $4 when using the promo code ITSTIME when buying on GoMocs.com and printing the tickets at home. Offer expires 2 hours before tipoff of the game in question.
- 30th meeting with UNCG with UTC holding an 18-11 advantage, 14-9 in regular-season league play....series began on Dec. 16, 1991.
- UNCG is 10-15, 8-5 in the SoCon North Division...tied for 1st in North Division with Thursday night's opponent Elon...have won eight of the last nine.
- Trevis Simpson leads the Spartans averaging 17.7 points and 4.0 rebounds per contest...Derrell Armstrong added 12.0 points and 4.4 boards coming off the bench in 23 of 25 appearances...those numbers go up in league play with Simpson scoring at a 19.4 ppg clip, while Armstrong adds 16.2 per game.
- UNCG is 5-1 when the final score is four points or less.
- Senior Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.) continues to climb the Mocs record book. He is now 6th on the DI era scoring list with 1,180 points. He is also in the top 10 in field goals attempted (4th, 952), 3pt field goals made (T8th, 153), 3pt field goals attempted (6th, 433). Other potential top 10 lists for Taylor:
10, Phillips, 400
Taylor, 12, 393
10, Phillips, 272
Taylor, 14, 241
10, Casey Long, 367
Taylor, 16, 319
- The Mocs lead the SoCon in assists (15.0) and FG% defense (40.1). Senior captain Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.) leads in assists at 6.4 per contest and assist-turnover ratio (2.2).
- Omar Wattad (14) & Ricky Taylor (13) combined for 27 2nd half pts. Wattad's came in 1st 10 min, Taylor the final 10.
- Keegan Bell's 166 assists this season in No. 6 on the Mocs' record list, 8 behind Tyrone Enoch (1990-91).
- Dontay Hampton is avg 9.2 pts, 2.6 reb, 2.0 assists & 1.0 steals per game over last 5 (20.8 mpg).
- Drazen Zlovaric is averaging 11.6 pts & 7.1 reb per HOME game (59.8% FG).
- Opponents shoot 36.0% FG and 28.0% 3pt in McKenzie Arena compared to 45.7% FG & 35.1% for the Mocs.
Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.)
- Leads the SoCon in assists at 6.4 per game while ranking ninth nationally.
- Leads SoCon in assist/turnover ratio (2.2)...46th in the country.
- Made the 2012 Bob Cousy Award Watch List for second straight year...MVP of Dr Pepper Classic.
- Mocs career assist leader with 507...passed Tim Brooks (1992-93) and Wes Moore (1996-99) on a feed to Ronrico White with 8:12 left in the game at Kentucky...his 166 assists this season is 6th-best...he holds the 3rd (182, 2010-11), 6th (current) and 7th (159 - 2009-10) best season marks in school history.
- Got his 600th collegiate assist against Elon on a White jumper at 14:28 in first half...includes the 95 he tallied as a freshman (2007-08) at Vanderbilt.
- Tied for 8th all-time in 3pt FG Made with 153 with Ricky Taylor...Brandon Born (1992-95) is seventh with 159.
- 3rd in career 3pt FG Attempted with 511...Keddric Mays (2006-07) is second with 516, while Stephen McDowell (2008-09) is first with 611.
- Eight career 20-point games...33 games with double digit scoring numbers...has led the team in scoring thrice this season, 11 times in his career.
- 57 career five-plus assist games including 20 this season...10 or more assists nine times, four in 2011-12.
- Made four or more threes 17 times in two-plus seasons.
Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.)
- Graduated with a degree in accounting on December 17, 2011...then immediately drove to Lexington, Ky., as the Mocs took on Kentucky that evening where he had a career-best five assists.
- Scored 1,000th career point in win over Longwood on a 3pt bucket...18th UTC student-athlete in the DI era (1977-78) to accomplish it...currently sixth in scoring (1,180).
- SoCon Ranks: 12th in scoring (13.2), 7th in 3pt% (40.8) and 9th in FT% (78.8).
- 12th at UTC in FGM with 393, two behind Johnny Taylor (1996-97) with 395...looking to become 11th student-athlete in DI era with 400 FGM...4th in FGA with 952, three away from James Jones (1978-81) with 955.
- Tied for 8th all-time in 3pt FG Made at 153 with Bell...6th in 3pt FGA (433), trailing Wes Moore (1996-99) in fifth with 455.
- Led the Mocs in each of the last two seasons in free throws made (151 total) and leads this year with 82...14th with 241 in his career...Alphonso Pugh (2003-06) is 13th with 242.
- Career FT% (75.5) is fifth among those who have shot 300 or more.
- 65 double-digit scoring nights for his career, 19 in 2011-12...led team in scoring nine times this season, 26 in career.
- 11 career 20-pt games...season-high 24 points in Thursday's win over Elon.
- Averaging 16.3 ppg in seven meetings with UNCG shooting 47.4% (36-76) from the field, 40.0% (14-35) from 3 pt range and 70.0% (28-40) at the free throw line.
Omar Wattad (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Second in the SoCon in 3pt FG made per game (3.0) ranking 14th nationally.
- Other SoCon ranks: 11th in scoring (13.3 ppg) and ninth in 3pt% (39.5) which is 40th-best in nation.
- Made 100th trey against Warren Wilson...5th in career treys made with 161...Moore is 4th with 167.
- Scored his 700th career point at Elon...now stands at 776 (852 including Georgetown stats).
- 25 points at Elon topped his 24 points in season opener at IU...four 20-point efforts in 2011-12, 11 career...37 career double-digit scoring games, 16 in 2011-12.
- Averaging 17.0 pts and 4.3 reb per game in three meeting with UNCG.
Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia)
- SoCon Ranks: 5th in rebounding (6.8), 4th in defensive boards (5.4) and 6th in FG% (52.7).
- Game-high 10 boards in 1st collegiate action in more than a year at Indiana.
- 16 double-figure scoring nights...7 or more rebounds in 15 of 26 games...six double-digit rebounding games with four double-doubles.
- Had 14 points and 13 boards at UNCG in January.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.