2011-12 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
THE CITADEL (4-22/1-14) AT CHATTANOOGA (10-18/4-11)
Game No. 29 | Feb. 18, 2012 | 7 p.m. | McKenzie Arena (10,928)
Listen to "Voice of the Mocs" Jim Reynolds' call on ESPN 105.1 FM in Chattanooga, pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to game time. Live video (subscription) and audio (free) available via MocsVision on GoMocs.com where you can find the live stats link as well.
- ALL SOCON GAMES: BI-LO is partnering with the Chattanooga Mocs to offer the BI-LO BOGO promotion for SoCon games this season. Just show your BI-LO Bonus Card at the ticket gate on game day for a Mocs SoCon game to buy one ticket and get one free.
- SOCON SATURDAY GAMES: SoCon Saturday package includes ticket and food for each Saturday league game throughout the season. It includes one reserved ticket and a food voucher for a small coke, popcorn and pizza all for $10. Ticket package must be purchased in advance by calling 266-MOCS (6627) or by visiting the UTC Gate One Ticket Office or online at GoMocs.com using "Saturday" promo code in ADVANCE of game day.
- ALL GAMES: There is a special code to use in purchasing single game tickets. Fans can buy general admission tickets for just $4 when using the promo code ITSTIME when buying on GoMocs.com and printing the tickets at home. Offer expires 2 hours before tipoff of the game in question.
- It's autograph night following the game with the student-athletes.
- Students from the Trousdale School will form the introduction tunnel for the Mocs during starting lineup. The Trousdale School is located in Cleveland, Tenn. It provides educational, physical, social and spiritual growth to high functioning adults with intellectual disabilities.
ABOUT THE CITADEL
- 70th meeting, 63rd in league play...Mocs lead 54-15...50-12 all-time in regular-season SoCon play...series began in 1925-26, there were six meetings prior to UTC's move into the SoCon in 1977-78...70 games against the Bulldogs is 6th-most in school history behind Samford (82), Western Carolina (78), ETSU (74), App State (72) and Furman (71).
- 54 wins against The Citadel is the second-most against any team in school history (Western Carolina 57).
- The Citadel is 4-22 on the season, 1-14 in the SoCon South Division...lone conference win is against Samford, 73-62 at home.
- Mike Groselle leads the Bulldogs averaging 16.9 points and 9.3 rebounds per game...his 9.3 rpg leads the SoCon.
- The Citadel shoots 43.6 percent from the field, 33.0 percent from three-point range and 65.6 percent from the free throw line.
01/13/11 7:05 p.m. at McAlister Field House; Charleston, S.C.
CHATTANOOGA 69, THE CITADEL 68
CHATTANOOGA (9-8, 5-0 SoCon)
WATTAD, Omar 11-19 0-0 30; JEFFERSON, DeAntre 1-4 8-9 10; TAYLOR, Ricky 4-12 1-1 10; BELL, Keegan 3-9 0-0 9; BURROUGHS, Jahmal 2-5 0-0 4; EARLY, Chris 1-2 0-2 2; SAFFORE, Jeremy 1-1 0-0 2; CAGE, Troy 1-3 0-0 2; WATSON, Sam 0-0 0-0 0; HAMPTON, Dontay 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 24-56 9-12 69.
THE CITADEL (5-12,
WELLS, Cameron 6-15 5-6 17; DAHN, Austin 6-15 0-0 15; URBANUS, Zach 5-8 0-0 15; GROSELLE, Mike 6-8 0-0 12; LARK, Matt 1-3 2-2 5; STREETER, Bryan 2-3 0-0 4; WILLIAMS, Morakinyo 0-0 0-0 0; EYKYN, Daniel 0-0 0-0 0; HOLSTON, Bo 0-0 0-0 0; DEJWOREK, Mike 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 26-52 7-8 68.
Chattanooga: 35-34 69
The Citadel: 33-35 68
3-point goals--Chattanooga 12-30 (WATTAD, Omar 8-14; BELL, Keegan 3-8; TAYLOR, Ricky 1-4; EARLY, Chris 0-1; CAGE, Troy 0-2; HAMPTON, Dontay 0-1), The Citadel 9-21 (URBANUS, Zach 5-8; DAHN, Austin 3-10; CLARK, Matt 1-2; WELLS, Cameron 0-1). Fouled out--Chattanooga-None, The Citadel-None. Rebounds--Chattanooga 33 (JEFFERSON, DeAntre 8), The Citadel 27 (GROSELLE, Mike 9). Assists--Chattanooga 17 (BELL, Keegan 5), The Citadel 16 (URBANUS, Zach 6; WELLS, Cameron 6). Total fouls--Chattanooga 10, The Citadel 15. Technical fouls--Chattanooga-None, The Citadel-None. A-1653
- Final two home games are this Saturday against The Citadel (7 p.m.) and a week later hosting Samford (7 p.m.). Both games have the SoCon Saturday ticket package which features a lower level ticket with a food voucher (pizza, popcorn, coke) all for just $10. the ticket must be purchased in advance of game day.
- The Mocs lead the SoCon in assists (14.7) and FG% defense (40.3). Senior captain Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.) leads in assists at 6.3 per contest. For UTC team ranking and SoCon leaders see page five. Individual ranks are in the player notes on page four.
- The Mocs bench has out-scored its opposition a vast majority of the time this season averaging 22.5 points per game to 19.6 by opponents. Over the last eight games, the bench posted 27.1 per contest compared to 21.3 by its opposite numbers. More on UTC bench players in the trending section in the notes.
- Senior forward Jahmal Burroughs (New Orleans, La.) has 24 points (8.0) and 27 rebounds (9.0) in the last three contests. He missed the prior three with a hamstring injury. He tied his career-high with 11 points against Elon with nine in the second half, eight rebounds, in keying the Mocs comeback win. He followed that with his first double-double tallying 10 points and 12 boards (career-best), against UNCG. He also made 8-9 from the free throw line. A 45.5 percent shooter from the charity stripe in his career, he's made 73.7 percent (14-19) over the last two.
- Junior Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia) has bounced back from his worst outing as a Moc (0 pts in 11 min at Western Carolina) with four good ones. Over that span, Zlovaric posted 15.3 points and 7.5 rebounds per contest shooting 65.1 percent (28-43) from the field. He had a career-best 22 points (11-15 FG) last Saturday against UNCG.
- Ricky Taylor, 6th on the DI era scoring list, needs 8 points for 1200.
- Taylor is 3 FGM from owning the 10th spot on that career list. 2 FGM will give him 400.
- Keegan Bell's 173 assists this season in No. 6 on the Mocs' record list, 1 behind Tyrone Enoch (1990-91).
- Ronrico White has been stellar off the bench for the Mocs. Over the last 8 games, he is averaging 8.0 ppg and 2.0 rpg shooting 47.4% FG, 47.1% 3pt & 76.9% FT in 14.4 mpg.
- Over his last 6 full games, Dontay Hampton is averaging 10.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.2 apg & 1.2 spg in 22.2 mpg.
Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.)
- Leads the SoCon in assists at 6.2 per game, 13th nationally, and assist/turnover ratio (2.2), 53rd in the country.
- Made the 2012 Bob Cousy Award Watch List for second straight year...MVP of Dr Pepper Classic.
- Mocs career assist leader with 514...passed Tim Brooks (1992-93) and Wes Moore (1996-99) on a feed to Ronrico White with 8:12 left in the game at Kentucky...his 173 assists this season is 6th-best...he holds the 3rd (182, 2010-11), 6th (current) and 7th (159 - 2009-10) best season marks in school history...he 16 assists from the 10th-most in SoCon history (530, Keven Young, Western Carolina, 1979-82).
- Got his 600th collegiate assist at home against Elon on a White jumper at 14:28 in first half...includes the 95 he tallied as a freshman (2007-08) at Vanderbilt.
- 8th all-time in 3pt FG Made with 155, two ahead of Ricky Taylor...Brandon Born (1992-95) is seventh with 159.
- 2nd in career 3pt FG Attempted with 526 behind Stephen McDowell (2008-09) in first with 611.
- Eight career 20-point games...33 games with double digit scoring numbers...has led the team in scoring thrice this season, 11 times in his career...made four or more threes 17 times in two-plus seasons.
- 58 career five-plus assist games including 21 this season...10 or more assists nine times, four in 2011-12.
- Hit buzzer-beater to beat The Citadel on Jan. 14, 2010.
Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.)
- Graduated with a degree in accounting on December 17, 2011...then immediately drove to Lexington, Ky., as the Mocs took on Kentucky that evening where he had a career-best five assists.
- Scored 1,000th career point in win over Longwood on a 3pt bucket...18th UTC student-athlete in the DI era (1977-78) to accomplish it...currently sixth in scoring (1,192).
- SoCon Ranks: 14th in scoring (12.7), 9th in 3pt% (39.3) and 8th in FT% (79.2).
- 11th at UTC in FGM with 398, two behind David Phillips (1997-00) with 400...looking to become 11th student-athlete in DI era with 400 FGM...3rd in FGA with 966, 213 away from Gerald Wilkins (1983-85) in 2nd with 1179.
- 9th all-time in 3pt FG Made at 153, two behind Bell...7th in 3pt FGA (437) behind Omar Wattad in 6th with 444.
- Led the Mocs in each of the last two seasons in free throws made (151 total) and leads this year with 84...13th with 243 in his career...Derrick Kirce (1990-91) is 12th with 251.
- Career FT% (75.7) is fifth among those who have shot 300 or more.
- 66 double-digit scoring nights in career, 20 in 2011-12...led team in scoring nine times this season, 26 in career.
- 11 career 20-pt games...season-high 24 points in last Thursday's win over Elon.
- Had 10 points, five rebounds and four assists in last year's win at The Citadel.
Omar Wattad (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- 2nd in the SoCon in 3pt FG made per game (2.9) ranking 16th nationally.
- Other SoCon ranks: 12th in scoring (13.2 ppg) and 13th in 3pt% (38.0) which is 51st-best in nation.
- Made 100th trey against Warren Wilson...5th in career treys made with 164...Moore is 4th with 167.
- Scored his 700th career point at Elon...now stands at 798 (874 including Georgetown stats).
- 25 points at Elon topped his 24 points in season opener at IU...four 20-point efforts in 2011-12, 11 career...38 career double-digit scoring games, 17 in 2011-12.
- Scored a career-high 30 points in last season's one-point win at The Citadel...made eight three-pointers in the game...shot 11-19 from the field (57.9%) including his eight-for-14 performance (57.1%) from beyond the arc.
Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia)
- SoCon Ranks: 4th in rebounding (6.9), 4th in defensive boards (5.3) and 5th in FG% (54.2).
- Game-high 10 boards in 1st collegiate action in more than a year at Indiana.
- 18 double-figure scoring nights...7 or more rebounds in 17 of 28 games...six double-digit rebounding games with four double-doubles.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.