Chattanooga Mocs Basketball Postgame Notes
Samford at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena - Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday - Feb. 25, 2012
- The Mocs post an 86-78 win over Samford on Senior Night...UTC ends the regular season with an 11-20 overall record, 5-13 in SoCon action. Samford falls to 11-18 overall and 8-10 in league play.
- UTC snaps a four-game slide with the win.
- Chattanooga jumped out to a 13-2 lead in the first three minutes of action...the Mocs hit five of their first eight shots in the run.
- UTC led 27-22 with 6:21 left in the first half before the Bulldogs closed on a 16-2 run to take a 38-29 lead into halftime. Samford made seven of their last nine shots from the first in the first half, including 4-5 from 3-pt. range.
- The Mocs trailed by as many as 11 in the second half - 40-29 at 19:43. UTC the game at 51 on a 3-pointer by Keegan Bell with 13:00 left. With the game tied at 55 with 11:05 left, UTC used an 11-3 run to take control of the game.
- UTC is 6-2 on the season when scoring 80+ points.
- Chattanooga turned the ball over 13 times, compared to 11 by Samford. UTC is 5-13 this season when committing more turnovers that its opponent.
- The Mocs win for just the second time in 11 Saturday games this season.
- The Mocs are 48-35 all-time against Samford...34-12 in Chattanooga.
- Chattanooga went 23-34 from the FT line (67.6%)...34 attempts is second-most this season (35 at WCU on Feb. 2).
- UTC 57 second-half points were the most scored in a half since putting up 62 in first half vs. Virginia Intermont on Nov. 13, 2009...it is the most points in a half in a SoCon game since scoring 58 in the second half vs. the Catamounts on Jan. 24, 2004.
Senior Keegan Bell
- Season-high and tied for game-high with 21 points...all in the second half.
- Shot 6-11 form the field, 5-10 from 3-pt. range and 4-6 form the FT line.
- Game-high nine assists.
- Extends his school assist record to 534...passed Western Carolina's Kevin Young (1979-82) for 10th all-time in the SoCon.
- 5 threes ties a season-high.
- 10th game in double-figures this season...34th of his career.
- Second 20-point game this season...ninth of his career.
- Scored his 800th point at UTC tonight...has 802 in 96 games as a Moc (8.6 ppg).
- 160 career 3-pt. FGs tied Toot Young (2001-02) for No. 6 all-time at UTC.
Senior Jahmal Burroughs
- Career-high 19 points.
- Perfect 8-8 from the field and 3-4 from the FT line.
- Fifth double-figure scoring game of the season...seventh of his career.
- Grabbed seven boards.
- Career-high three steals.
Junior Dontay Hampton
- Nine points off the bench.
- All from the FT line (9-12).
Sophomore Z. Mason
- Game-high 12 rebounds.
- Fourth game this season with 10+ boards.
- Added seven points off the bench.
- Shot 2-7 form the field, 3-6 form the FT line.
Senior Ricky Taylor
- 10 points on 3-9 shooting, 1-3 from 3-pt. range and 3-4 from the FT line.
- Added five rebounds.
- 1,219 career points is sixth all-time at UTC.
Senior Omar Wattad
- 11 points on 4-12 shooting, 3-9 from 3-pt. range
- Had nine points - all on threes - in the first three minutes of the game.
- 168 career 3-pt. FGs moves him into No. 5 on the Mocs all-time list, passing Wes Moore (1996-99).