2012-13 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
Davidson (3-3/0-0) at Chattanooga (2-4/0-0)
Game 7 | Dec. 1, 2012 | 7:30 p.m. | McKenzie Arena (10,928)
RADIO: The Mocs Sports Network flagship station is ESPN 105.1 FM the Zone in Chattanooga. Jim Reynolds is in his 33rd year as the play-by-play "Voice of the Mocs".
MOCSVISION: Video (PPV) & audio (free) is available online at GoMocs.com via MocsVision. Links for video, audio and live stats are available on the men's basketball schedule page.
PROMOTIONS: GOLD RUSH. FREE Gold Rush t-shirts for students while supplies last. All fans encouraged to wear gold. Halftime performance by Air Elite acrobatic dunk team. Doubleheader Saturday as the Lady Mocs take on Furman at 5 p.m.
- SoCon Home Opener Deal: $2 general admission ticket for 1st SoCon Home Game.
- BI-LO BOGO: Use your BI-LO BONUSCARD for buy one, get one tickets (equal or lesser value) for all SoCon Home Games.
- Call 266-MOCS (6627), click the ticket link above or stop by the McKenzie Arena ticket office (Gate 1 pre-gameday). All gates open at 4 p.m., for Lady Mocs vs. Furman.
Chattanooga remains at home next Saturday, December 8, hosting Eastern Kentucky at 7 p.m.
- SoCon opener for both schools. Chattanooga is 20-15 in SoCon openers, 15-6 when opening at home.
- UTC leads the all-time series with Davidson 32-23, 17-6 at home. It is 27-20 in regular season SoCon contests against the Wildcats. Series notes on page 3 of game notes package.
- The Mocs are beating teams by nearly 12 (11.7) rebounds per game. That ranks in the top 15 in the nation at No. 12. Chattanooga leads the SoCon in margin and offensive (.438) and defensive (.749) rebound percentage.
- UTC is top 10 in the country ranking tied for sixth (Maryland) in offensive boards per game (17.0) through Wednesday, November 28.
- The Mocs have grabbed 12 or more offensive rebounds in six straight contests. The last time they did that was in 2010-11 (Dec. 30-Jan. 15) recording 12 or more eight times in a row (Louisville through Reinhardt). The one break was 11 against Montreat on Dec. 28, 2010 for a run of 13 in 14 games.
- Chattanooga has out-boarded opponents by 10 or more four times including the last three games - 17 vs. Troy, 14 vs. Louisiana Tech and 21 at Kennesaw State. The last time UTC recorded four in a row was 2004-05 topping College of Charleston (21), Appalachian State (+13), UNCG (+11) and Western Carolina (19).
- UTC attempted just seven three-pointers in the win at Kennesaw State after hoisting a mere 10 the game before against LA Tech. That's the fewest since seven against Wofford in the 2007 SoCon Tourney (North Charleston, S.C. ). Since the turn of the century, The Mocs has attempted 10 or fewer five times with a 5-0 record in those contests.
- Drazen Zlovaric leads the league and is tied for 17th nationally (thru 11/28) in offensive rebounds per game (4.0).
- Ronrico White is fifth in the SoCon in free throws attempted (34). He leads four guards (Trey Sumler, WCU, 31, Stephen Croone, Furman, 29 & Derrell Armstrong, UNCG, 29) in the top 10. Zlovaric is tied for ninth with 25.
- White is averaging 4.0 rebounds per game from the perimeter. The last Mocs guard (one or two) to average four or more is current assistant coach Casey Long (5.2, 2006-07). Long averaged 4.0 for his career grabbing 499 in 125 games which ties Willie White (1981-84) for the school record by a guard.
- Zlovaric (7.5 rpg) and Z. Mason (7.0) are both averaging seven or better boards per game. The last time that happened for a season was Nicchaeus Doaks (8.6) and Khalil Hartwell (7.1) in 2008-09.
- Freshman Gee McGhee has been up and down early in the season. He has three strong performances and three struggling ones. In three of his first four games (Tenn. Temple, Kansas & Troy), he averaged 4.7 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.7 steals per game shooting 20.0 percent (5-25) from the field including 5.3 percent (1-19) and 33.3 percent from the charity stripe (3-9). In three of the last four (SEMO, LA Tech, Kennesaw St.), his numbers are 13.7 points, 1.0 rebound, 1.7 assists and 1.3 steals per contest making 56.0 percent (14-25) from the floor, 50.0 percent (6-12) from beyond the arc and 53.8 percent (7-13) at the line.
The Mocs are 352-203 in regular season SoCon play, 216-61 at home, in their 36th season in the league.
- UTC has won 28 titles since joining the SoCon in 1977-78. Far and away the most during that span with 10 tournament, 10 regular season and eight division.
SCOUTING THE WILDCATS
- Davidson is 3-3, 0-2 on the road.
- Bob McKillop is in his 24th season with the Wildcats (429-274).
- Davidson owns wins over Emory, Vanderbilt and West Virginia, while losing at New Mexico, at Milwaukee and against Gonzaga.
- De'mon Brooks leads the Wildcats averaging 17.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. He is shooting 47.2 percent from the field and 88.9 percent from the free throw line.
The Chattanooga Mocs lost a legend on Nov. 14, 2012 as former Head Coach Murray Arnold passed away in Florida. He laid the DI championship foundation coaching for six years, 1980-85, with a 135-46 record. He coached collegiately at four institutions (Birmingham Southern, Western Kentucky and Stetson) amassing a 420-229 mark in 22 seasons. The Mocs captured four SoCon Championships in six UTC campaigns advancing to three NCAA Tournaments and two NITs reaching the Elite 8 (NIT) in 1985 and narrowly missing the NCAA Sweet 16 in 1982.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.