The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team lost 7-0 at UNCG this afternoon. The Mocs battled the doubles point down to the wire, and could not get going in singles in the loss.
Chattanooga falls to 2-7 overall and 0-2 in SoCon action. The Spartans improve to 6-2 and 1-0 in league play.
The opening doubles point was hotly contested, beginning with UNCG winning at No. 1. Freshmen Derrick Brown and Austin Boaz evened it up with an 8-7 win at No. 3. They defeated UNCG’s Nazhone Wilkins and Gaston Murray (7-5) in a tiebreaker.
UNCG went on to take all seven singles matches in straight sets for the 7-0 win.
Chattanooga is back home next weekend, hosting a doubleheader with the women on Saturday, March 8 at the Champions Club. Both teams take the court at Noon, with the men hosting The Citadel and the women facing Georgia Southern. Links for live scoring for both matches are available on GoMocs.com.
UNCG 7, Chattanooga 0
Mar 2, 2014 at Greensboro, N.C. (UNCG Tennis Courts)
1. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. John Peacey/Jorge Varon (UTC) 8-4
2. Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Gino Delavalle/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Derrick Brown/Austin Boaz (UTC) def. Nazhone Wilkins/Gaston Murray (UNCG) 8-7 (7-5)
1. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Jorge Varon (UTC) 6-1, 6-3
2. James Dougherty (UNCG) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Gino Delavalle (UTC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Gaston Murray (UNCG) def. John Peacey (UTC) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
5. #106 Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Austin Boaz (UTC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Derrick Brown (UTC) 6-1, 6-1