Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Elon vs. Chattanooga
Southern Conference Tournament Semifinals
U.S. Cellular Center – Asheville, N.C.
Sunday – March 9, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs won their 24th-straight game with a 77-44 victory over Elon this afternoon in the semifinals of the Southern Conference Tournament. UTC improves to 28-3 overall while The Phoenix end their season with a 15-16 mark.
- Head coach Jim Foster won his 811th game today…11th women’s coach in the NCAA to reach that mark. His 36-year mark stands at 811-310. The 2013 Hall of Fame inductee is the only coach in NCAA Division I history - men or women - to lead three different teams to at least 200 wins (St. Joseph’s: 248, Vanderbilt: 256, Ohio State: 279). This marked his 27th season with 20 or more wins, tied for seventh most in Division I.
- UTC’s 24-straight wins is the fourth-longest active run in the nation…last loss was at Hawai’i (60-55) on Nov. 30…it is also the fourth longest streak in school history.
- With Elon leaving the Southern Conference, this is likely the last game in the series for the foreseeable future. The Mocs are 21-3 all-time against The Phoenix, including wins in each of the last seven meetings.
- UTC is 16-0 when scoring 70+ points.
- The Mocs jumped out to an 8-0 lead in the first four minutes of play and never trailed in the game.
- Elon was 1-21 from the field to start the second half.
- UTC was a season-best 92.9% (13-14) from the FT line in the game.
- Chattanooga dominated the boards 48-31…second most rebounds in a game this season.
Ashlen Dewart – Sr.-F
- 14 points on 5-9 shooting, 4-4 from the FT line.
- Added seven boards and three assists.
- Has 13 assists in the last four games.
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F
- 13th double-double of the season with a game-high 18 points and 11 rebounds.
- Shot 8-15 from the field, 2-4 from 3-pt. range.
Jasmine Joyner – Fr.-F
- Scored nine points on 3-3 shooting, 3-4 from the FT line.
- Only played 11 minutes off the bench.
- Added seven rebounds and two blocks.
- Has 49 blocks on the year…freshman record…6th most in a career at UTC.