Samford at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Thursday – Jan. 9, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs move into sole possession of first place in the Southern Conference after tonight’s 90-81 win over Samford. UTC improves to 9-8 overall and 3-0 in league play while the Bulldogs drops to 6-12 overall and 0-3 in the SoCon.
- The Mocs are 3-0 in SoCon play for the first time since the 2010-11 season when they started the league slate 7-0.
- Chattanooga jumped out to an 8-0 lead in the first three minutes of playing, scoring their first four buckets on dunks or layups. It was the first wire-to-wire win against a Division I opponent this season.
- The Mocs led 45-32 at the break…most points in the first half against a Division I opponent this season … 7-1 when leading at the half this season … 90 in the game was also the most against a DI foe.
- Chattanooga 31-41 (75.6%) from the FT line … season-highs for makes and attempts … most since going 36-53 (67.9%) against UNCG on Jan. 27, 2011.
- The Mocs shot 9-19 (47.4%) from behind the arc…season-high for percentage.
- Chattanooga built a 19-point lead (46-27) in the first half, following a Z. Mason FT at the 2:33 mark.
- Samford cut the lead to five (86-81) after an Isaiah Williams three with 15 seconds left.
- Mocs won the rebounding battle 36-35…9-1 when outrebounding opponent.
- Chattanooga is 5-2 in games decided by 10 points or less…won five straight.
Martynas Bareika – Jr.-G
- 12 points on 5-11 shooting, 2-6 from 3-pt. range and 0-1 from the FT line.
- Ninth game in double-figures this season.
- Added four boards in 26 minutes.
- Back-to-back threes with under three minutes to go in the first gave the Mocs a 45-27 lead.
Casey Jones – So.-G
- 14 points on 7-7 shooting.
- Added five boards and three assists.
- Fourth straight game in double-figures…11th of the season.
- 28-38 (73.7%) from the field last four games…15.3 ppg in that stretch.
- Career-high 39 minutes.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Seventh double-double of the season with 16 points and a game-high 10 boards.
- Shot 2-8 from the field, 1-2 from 3-pt. range and 11-14 from the FT line.
- Tied career-highs for makes and attempts from the FT line…both previously set at WCU (2/28/13).
- Five blocks is one shy of a career-high…third time this season he has posted 5+ blocks...leads SoCon averaging 2.6 per game.
- Tied a career-high with three steals.
Gee McGhee – So.-G
- 11 points, nine boards and tied for team-high with four assists.
- One rebound shy of his career-high.
- Shot 2-8 from the field, 0-1 from 3-pt. range and 7-10 from the FT line.
- Season-high FT attempts.
- Added two steals.
Ronrico White – Jr.-G
- Career-high 28 points.
- Shot 6-10 from the field, 4-6 from 3-pt. range and 12-12 from the FT line.
- Most FTs without a miss in the SoCon this season.
- Most FTs without a miss by a Moc since Brandon Born was 13-13 against The Citadel on Jan. 14, 1995.
- Added four assists and a steal in 29 minutes off the bench.
- Most points off the bench since Keith Parker had 29 against N.C. Central on Dec. 4, 1978.