MOCS MEN’S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK
Game No. 30 | Chattanooga at Western Carolina | Ramsey Center | Feb. 27, 2014
- Chattanooga pulled out a dramatic 83-81 overtime win at Western Carolina in the Ramsey Center Thursday night…the Mocs are 17-13, 11-4 in the Southern Conference, while the Catamounts are 17-13, 10-5 in the league.
- The contest had seeding implications for next week’s Southern Conference Championship in Asheville, N.C….the Mocs are currently the No. 2 seed tied at 11-4 with Wofford and Elon.
- Chattanooga leads the series 60-22…it’s 20-18 in Cullowhee…first regular season sweep since 2004-05.
- The Mocs are 15-2 when leading at the half…was up 38-36 after 20 minutes.
- Chattanooga’s 2nd OT game of the season, both on the road…lost the first 92-85 at Samford.
- The Mocs had a 36-32 advantage on the glass tonight…14-3 when out-boarding their opponents.
- Led by four with five minutes to play on a Martynas Bareika three-pointer…16-0 when leading with five minutes to play.
- Chattanooga shot 76.3 percent from the free throw line make 29 of 38 at the charity stripe…14-6 when shooting more free throws than opponent…Western was 15-22 at the line.
- The Mocs shot 50.0 percent making eight of 16 three-point attempts…3-0 when shooting 50 percent or better from beyond the arc.
- Chattanooga had its second-largest comeback win of the season trailing by nine (54-45) with 14:21 to play…only the 12-point rebound at The Citadel is bigger.
Casey Jones, So.-F
- Team-high 19 points with seven rebounds and three blocks.
- 21st career game with 10 or more points…19 of those have come this year.
- Blocked Trey Sumler runner in the lane in the final second of regulation to send the game into overtime.
- 7-13 from the floor and a perfect 5-5 from the free throw line.
Gee McGhee, So.-G
- 15 points, six rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- 31 points and 21 rebounds on the season vs. WCU…16 points and 15 boards in the first meeting…career averages of 15.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.3 steals per contest in four meetings.
- 16th game in double digits on the season, 37th career.
- Great defensive play late in OT with Lance Stokes tying up Tom Tanklewicz with 17.6 remaining to give the Mocs the ball down one…led to Casey Jones layup off the in-bounds.
Z. Mason, Sr.-F
- 16 points, seven rebounds and two steals.
- 24th double-figure scoring night this season, 52nd of his career.
- 9-12 from the free throw line.
Ronrico White, Jr.-G
- 13 points shooting 3-4 from 3pt range.
- Hit a huge three from 23-feet at the top of the key with 17.6 seconds left in OT down one setting up McGhee & Stokes’ heroics.