Chattanooga 81 - Samford 70
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
March 8, 2009
- Chattanooga is now 17-16 on the season after an 81-70 win over Samford in the McKenzie Arena Sunday night... Samford moves to 16-16 overall...Chattanooga advances to the Finals of the Southern Conference Tournament to face College of Charleston Monday night at 7:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) on ESPN.
- Chattanooga is now 45-32 against the Bulldogs, 32-11 in Chattanooga... UTC swept the season series with a 66-56 win in Birmingham and a 67-62 win in Chattanooga.
- Tonight was the first SoCon Tournament meeting between the two schools as this is Samford’s first year in the league.
- UTC is now 50-22 in Southern Conference tournament games, 17-5 in the semifinals.
- The win moves Chattanooga into its 17th finals appearance in 32 SoCon Tourneys... That is the most finals appearances by a SoCon school since the Mocs joined the league in 1977-78... Davidson is second with 10.
- Seniors Nicchaeus Doaks (291) and Khalil Hartwell (235) are now the top rebounding duo in school history with 526 rebounds on the season...the senior passed the Sweet 16 twosome of Chris Mims (259) and Johnny Taylor (255) with 514 in 1996-97.
- The Mocs outrebounded Samford 40-19...UTC is now 14-3 on the year when outrebounding its opponent...UTC also won the offensive glass battle, gaining a 15-3 edge...The Mocs also had a 17-2 advantage in second-chance points
- UTC was on fire from deep in the first half...hitting seven of its first eight from 3-pt. range and 9-17 in the first 20 minutes overall...Chattanooga finished 12-25 (48.0%) from long range for the game
Senior Stephen McDowell
- Scored 32 points on 9-16 shooting, 7-10 from 3-pt. range and 7-10 from the FT line
- Tied a career-high with eight boards
- 28 double-digit scoring games this season, 53 career.
- 13 games this season with 20-plus points, 18 for his career. Third time in his career he has capped the 30-pt. mark...career high was 38 against Niagara on Dec. 30
- 26 games this season with three or more three-pointers.
- 12 games with five or more three-pointers...4th time with 7+ 3-pt. FGs
- 1,058 career points leaves him 12 points shy of Johnny Taylor (1996-97) for 13th place all-time at UTC...he is third among two year players behind Derrick Kirce (1,113 - 1990-91), Johnny Taylor (1,070 - 1996-97).
- Mocs career leader in 3-pt...
- Career 3-pt. FGs - 240
- Career 3-pt. FG attempts - 596.
- Single-season 3-pt FGs - 132
- Single-season 3-pt. FG attempts - 300
- 616 points this season is second in school history... Gerald Wilkins holds the record with 672 in 1984-85...just the third Moc to top 600 points in a season...Chad Copeland had 604 in 1993-94
Senior Nicchaeus Doaks
- Scored five points on 1-4 shooting and 3-4 from the FT line
- Added seven boards
- His 807 rebounds is the UTC DI career record
- 560 FT attempts is the career record
- 129 games played is the school record
- Now has 1,393 points, 57 behind Gerald Wilkins (1983-85) and Brandon Born (1992-95) in second place with 1,449.
- Second all-time in free throws made (362) to Stanford Strickland (401).
- No. 5 at UTC with 485 FGs...need five more to pass Brandon Burn (1992-95) for No. 3
Senior Kevin Goffney
- Scored 13 points on 4-10 shooting, 2-3 from 3-pt. range and 3-4 from the FT line
- Also grabbed six boards
- 18 double-figure scoring games this season, 24 for his two-year career.
Senior Khalil Hartwell
- Scored nine points on 4-5 shooting, 1-2 from the FT line
- Game-high eight boards
- 744 points and 638 rebounds in his career...One of three players (Doaks, Lance Fulse) with more than 600 rebounds.
- No. 2 all-time at UTC with 125 games played...second only to teammate Nicchaeus Doaks’ 129
Junior Ty Patterson
- Off the bench to score 10 points on 3-7 shooting, 2-5 from 3-pt. range and 2-3 from the FT line
- 14th double figure game this season
- First time with 10+ since scoring 23 at Wofford on Feb. 5