Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Georgia Southern at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Monday – Jan. 6, 2014
- The Chattanooga women’s basketball team takes over sole possession of first place in the Southern Conference race with a 72-64 win over Davidson tonight. The Mocs improve to 12-3 overall and 4-0 in league play, while the Wildcats drop to 6-9 overall and 3-1 in SoCon action.
- Tonight’s win extends the Mocs school-record home court winning streak to 32 games…second longest current run in the country (Baylor – 68).
- Chattanooga is on an eight-game winning streak overall and have won 19 straight Southern Conference regular season games.
- Davidson jumped out to a 10-5 lead in the first five minutes of play, following a jumper by Laura Murray at the 15:19 mark…the Wildcats would not hit another field goal until Dakota Dukes’ layup at the 4:50 mark that stopped a 15-2 run.
- Chattanooga’s biggest lead was 42-27 after a Taylor Hall jumper with 16:33 left in the game. Davidson would actually retake the lead, 56-54, on a Hannah Early 3-pointer with 3:52 left.
- Alicia Payne hit a three with 2:02 on the clock to break a 58-all tie and give UTC the lead for good. She scored all eight of her points in the last 2:02 of the game.
- UTC was 11-13 from the FT line in the final 1:27 of the game.
- Davidson came into the game leading the SoCon with 5.8 3-pt. FGs per game. The Wildcats were 0 for their first six and did not break the ice from deep until Hannah Early connected with 14:36 left in the game…they made three of their next six after that…finished 4-14 (28.6%) for the game.
- Davidson senior Laura Murray came into the game second in the SoCon at 19.6 ppg. She was held to just nine on 3-11 shooting (0-6 from 3-pt. range and 3-4 from the FT line).
- UTC dominated the glass, outrebounding Davidson 40-5 … 17-9 on the offensive…did transate much on the scoreboard as UTC held only a 15-11 advantage in the second chance points.
- UTC did not score in the first three minutes of play, starting 0-4 with two turnovers.
- The Mocs bench outscored Davidson 31-9.
- Davidson went 12-13 (92.3%) from the FT line…best showing by a UTC opponent this season.
Faith Dupree – Sr.-F
- Nine points and seven boards in 19 minutes.
- Shot 4-7 from the field and 1-2 from 3-pt. range.
- Second 3-pt. FG of the season (2-5).
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F
- 15 points on 4-12 shooting, 0-3 from 3-pt. range and 7-7 from the FT line.
- Most FTs without a miss by a Moc this season.
- 13-13 from the FT line last two games.
- Game-high five assists.
- Game-high nine boards.
Tatianna Jackson – So.-G
- 10 points in 23 minutes off the bench.
- Shot 4-7 from the field, 2-2 from the FT line.
- Fifth game in double-figures this season…second in last three.
- Added five rebounds.
Alicia Payne – So.-G
- Scored all eight of her points in last 2:02 of the game.
- 1-4 from the field, 1-3 form 3-pt. range, 5-6 from the FT line.
- Added three boards and an assist in 23 minutes off the bench.
- Broke a 58-58 tie with a three with 2:02 in the game…first 3-pt. FG since Colorado State on Dec. 1…5-20 (25%) on the year.