Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Chattanooga at Samford
Hanna Center – Birmingham, Ala.
Monday – Feb. 24, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs won their 20th-straight game with a 74-67 victory at Samford tonight. UTC improves to 24-3 overall and 16-0 in league action. Samford drops to 9-18 and 7-9 in league play.
- Head coach Jim Foster won his 807th game today…11th women’s coach in the NCAA to reach that mark. His 36-year mark stands at 807-310. The 2013 Hall of Fame inductee is the only coach in NCAA Division I history - men or women - to lead three different teams to at least 200 wins (St. Joseph’s: 248, Vanderbilt: 256, Ohio State: 279). This marked his 27th season with 20 or more wins, tied for seventh most in Division I.
- UTC’s 20-straight wins is the fourth-longest active run in the nation…last loss was at Hawai’i (60-55) on Nov. 30.
- Chattanooga has also won 12 consecutive road games, second best in the NCAA…UTC is 12-2 on the road this season.
- The Mocs have won 32 straight SoCon games…last loss was a 70-60 overtime defeat at Elon on Jan. 7, 2013.
- UTC is 2-0 in overtime games this season…also defeated Appalachian State 73-68 in OT on Jan. 13.
- Mocs trailed by five 54-49 with 2:16 left in regulation…Alex Black hit a jumper with 15 seconds to tie the game at 54 and send it into overtime.
- Chattanooga is 14-0 when scoring 70+ points.
- UTC shot 7-13 (53.8%) from the field in the two OTs…Samford was just 2-9 (22.2%).
- The Mocs had a big advantage in points off turnovers (24-9)…Chattanooga had 13 turnovers to Samford’s 16.
- Samford dominated second chance points 15-2, but only led the offensive rebounding category 8-7. UTC outrebounded the Bulldogs 42-39.
- Samford snaps UTC streak of nine straight double-digit wins in SoCon play.
- There were 13 ties, 13 lead changes and neither team led by more than seven.
- The Bulldogs were 9-12 (42.9%) from 3-pt. range…nine threes and 21 attempts are the most allowed by Chattanooga this season.
- UTC was 3-15 (20.0%) from 3-pt. range…tied a season-low for threes made.
Alex Black – Sr.-G
- 16 points on 7-11 shooting, 2-3 from the FT line.
- Added three steals.
- Fourth straight game in double-figures…ninth this season.
- Seven FGs is a career-high.
- Topped 600 career points in the game.
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F
- Team-high 20 points on 6-17 shooting, 0-4 from 3-pt. range and 8-8 from the FT line.
- Most FTs without a miss by a Moc this season.
- 11 boards for her 12th double-double of the season…second 20 and 10 night.
- Fifth 20-point game of the season…second in a row.
- Tied a career-high with 44 minutes.
- Added three assists and four steals.
- Now has 1,093 career points, passing Kim Horsey for 21st on the Mocs all-time scoring list.
Jasmine Joyner – Fr.-F
- Near double-double with eight points and 10 boards.
- Shot 4-8 from the field.
- Added five blocks.
- Career-high 35 minutes.
- 25 blocks in last seven games (3.6 bpg).
Chelsey Shumpert – Fr.-G
- 17 points on 6-11 shooting, 3-6 from 3-pt. range and 2-4 from the FT line.
- Career-high seven rebounds.
- Career-high 35 minutes.
- Tied a career-high for FGs and threes.
- Eighth game in double-figures this season.