Hiwassee at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Tuesday – Dec. 10, 2013
- UTC improved to 4-6 overall with an 86-68 win over Hiwassee tonight…Tigers drop to 1-8 overall.
- Hiwassee went up 36-30 on a three-pointer from Jeff Waggoner with 3:36 left in the first half. Mocs closed the period on a 9-0 run to take a 39-36 lead into the break…opened the second half on a 16-5 run to take control of the game.
- The Mocs had seven turnovers in the first seven minutes of action…just two the rest of the half..17 for the game.
- Senior forward Z. Mason had 22 of the team’s 39 points in the first half…he was 9-12 (75%) from the field and 2-2 from 3-pt. range...rest of the team was 6-19 (31.6%) from the field and 2-7 (28.6%) from behind the arc.
- Mason and sophomore Casey Jones combined for 58 points (Mason 41 – Jones 17) on 23-30 (76.7%) shooting…rest of the team was 9-27 (33.3%) from the field.
- Tigers Howie Meadows scored 26 points…8-12 from 3-pt. range and 2-3 from the FT line…most threes allowed by the Mocs since UNCG’s Nicholas Paulos had 10 on Feb. 21, 2013.
- Mocs were 32-57 from the field for 56.1%...second-best shooting night this season…season high was 58.8% (30-51) against IUPUI on Nov. 29.
- Hiwassee’s 12 3-pt. FGs are the most allowed by the Mocs in a game this season…Tigers 50% (12-24) from behind the arc is also the best by a UTC opponent this season.
- Hiwassee only went to the FT line 15 times tonight…lowest by a Mocs opponent this season.
- Mocs dominted the game down low…50-14 in the paint…22-4 on second chance points…43-26 rebounding advantage.
Martynas Bareika – Jr.-G
- 10 points on 4-10 shooting, 2-5 from 3-pt. range.
- 24 points in last two games.
Casey Jones – So.-G
- Tied a career-high with 17 points
- 7-10 shooting, 3-5 from the FT line.
- Added seven boards.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Career-high 41 points.
- Shot 16-20 from the field, 3-4 from 3-pt. range and 6-10 from the FT line.
- Most points in the SoCon this season.
- Most points by a Moc since Ricky Taylor had 41 against UNCG on Jan. 27, 2011.
- Tied a career-high with a game-high 12 boards.
- Second double-double of the season…ninth of his career.
- First Moc with 40 points and 10 boards in a game.
- First Moc with 30 points and 10 boards since Oliver Morton had 34 and 12 at Appalachian State on Jan. 29, 2000.
- Missed his first four FTs…made his last six.
- Career-high for FGs made.
- Previous career best for scoring was 27 against IUPUI on Nov. 29 and College of Charleston last season.
Gee McGhee – So.-G
- Did not score for the first time in his career…0-2 from the field.
- Added six boards, game-high six assists and game-high three steals.
Jay Wimbley – Fr.-G
- Scored his first two career points.
- 2-2 from the FT line in one minute of action.