The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team scored an impressive 6-0 shutout over Mercer in the first outdoor match of the season. Chattanooga improved to 5-2 on the year while the Bears dropped to 3-5 overall.
With the threat of inclement weather in the Chattanooga area, the teams started with singles play. Sophomore Kayla Jones opened with a dominating (6-0, 6-0) match over Lucie Payrat at No. 1 that took less than an hour.
The rest of the team followed suit, winning the other five singles matches in straight sets. UTC did lose more than three games in any one set.
“You always look forward to the first outdoor match and we’re thankful the weather cooperated enough for us to get it in,” head coach Jeff Clark said. “It was a solid performance, especially given the conditions. It was very windy today. We fought the elements and played pretty well.”
There was a brief 20 minute rain delay during singles action, but the weather broke long enough to finish singles play. Dark clouds and rain nixed doubles action.
After hitting the road Saturday to take on Middle Tennessee, Chattanooga will have a home stand of four matches against Lee University, UAB, Brenau and Georgia Southern. Be sure to check the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com for recaps and details.
Chattanooga 6, Mercer 0
Feb 20, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Lucie Payrat (MER)- 6-0, 6-0
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Roxy Bartz (MER) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Haley Powell (MER) - 6-3, 6-2
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Liza Klyachkin (MER) – 6-2, 6-2
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Natalie Franklin (MSU) - 6-2, 6-1
6. Alison Storie (UTC) def. Amanda Bertani (MSU) - 6-0, 6-2