Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Elon at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Friday – Feb. 28, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs won their 21st-straight game with a 69-55 victory over Elon tonight. UTC improves to 25-3 overall and 17-0 in league action. Elon drops to 13-15 overall and 9-8 in league play.
- Head coach Jim Foster won his 808th game today…11th women’s coach in the NCAA to reach that mark. His 36-year mark stands at 808-310. The 2013 Hall of Fame inductee is the only coach in NCAA Division I history - men or women - to lead three different teams to at least 200 wins (St. Joseph’s: 248, Vanderbilt: 256, Ohio State: 279). This marked his 27th season with 20 or more wins, tied for seventh most in Division I.
- UTC’s 21-straight wins is the fourth-longest active run in the nation…last loss was at Hawai’i (60-55) on Nov. 30.
- The Mocs have won 33 straight SoCon games…last loss was a 70-60 overtime defeat at Elon on Jan. 7, 2013.
- Chattanooga extends the nation’s longest home court winning streak to 38 games. Last loss at home was a one-point defeat to Appalachian State (57-56) on Feb. 14, 2011.
- UTC had 22 assists on 26 baskets in tonight’s game…second most assists this season…sixth time this season with 20+ turnovers.
- 3-15 (20.0%) shooting from 3-point range for the Mocs…tied for fewest threes in a game this season…eight times Chattanooga has only made three threes this season, including each of the last four…as a team, Chattanooga is just 12-59 (20.3%) from behind the arc last four games.
- UTC improves to 20-3 all-time against Elon…10-1 in Chattanooga.
- UTC had 10 steals in the game tonight…ninth time this season with 10+ steals in a game.
- The Mocs forced 45 turnovers in the two games with Elon this season.
- Chattanooga has won 13 of its 17 SoCon games by 10+ points.
- UTC led 42-37 at the 16:05 mark after Elon’s Jessica Farmer hit a jumper. UTC went on an 11-3 run over the next six minutes to take control of the game…UTC never trailed in the second half.
Ashlen Dewart – Sr.-F
- 14 points on 6-11 shooting, 2-4 from the FT line.
- Tied for game-high with eight boards.
- Added four assists.
- Played 29 minutes … most since playing 34 at Appalachian State on Jan. 13.
Aryanna Gilbert – Fr.-F
- 11 points on 5-8 shooting, 1-2 form the FT line.
- Tied a season high with four steals…second time in three games.
- Third game in double-figures this season.
- Shooting 61.8% from the field this season.
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F
- Team-high 15 points on 5-11 shooting, 1-3 from 3-pt. range and 4-4 from the FT line.
- 12-12 from the FT line last two games…made 14 in a row overall.
- Added six assists and three steals.
- Now has 1,108 career points…needs 16 more to pass Nancy Smith (1988-91) to move into 20th place on the Mocs all-time scoring list.