Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
UNCG at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Sunday – March 3, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs won their 22nd-straight game with a 77-56 victory over UNCG this afternoon. UTC improves to 26-3 overall and finishes the regular season with a perfect 18-0 mark in league action. UNCG drops to 7-22 overall and 3-15 in SoCon play.
- This is the fourth time in school history the Mocs ran the table in league play (2007-08, 2005-06 and 2003-04).
- Head coach Jim Foster won his 809th game today…11th women’s coach in the NCAA to reach that mark. His 36-year mark stands at 809-310. The 2013 Hall of Fame inductee is the only coach in NCAA Division I history - men or women - to lead three different teams to at least 200 wins (St. Joseph’s: 248, Vanderbilt: 256, Ohio State: 279). This marked his 27th season with 20 or more wins, tied for seventh most in Division I.
- UTC’s 22-straight wins is the fourth-longest active run in the nation…last loss was at Hawai’i (60-55) on Nov. 30.
- The Mocs have won 34 straight SoCon games…last loss was a 70-60 overtime defeat at Elon on Jan. 7, 2013.
- Chattanooga extends the nation’s longest home court winning streak to 39 games. Last loss at home was a one-point defeat to Appalachian State (57-56) on Feb. 14, 2011. Chattanooga is a perfect 13-0 in each of the last three seasons.
- The Mocs led the SoCon in attendance again, averaging 2,175 fans per game. That is fourth all-time for a season at UTC, trailing last year’s school record 2,550, 2,373 in 2004-05 and 2,236 in 2003-04.
- Chattanooga won 14 of its 18 SoCon games by 10+ points…seven by 20+ points.
- UTC forced UNCG into 30 turnovers today, leading to a 30-16 advantage in points off turnovers. The Mocs forced 83 turnovers in the last four games.
- UTC had a season-high 23 steals in the game…tied for sixth all-time at UTC…most since grabbing 24 against Western Carolina on Feb. 10, 2001…most in the SoCon this season…10th time this season with 10+ steals.
- The Mocs had a season-high 26 assists on 33 baskets tonight. UTC has 48 assists in the last two games. Seventh time this season with 20+ assists.
- The Mocs did commit 21 turnovers in the game…second most this season.
- Chattanooga led 19-18 with 9:02 left in the first half before going on a 15-2 run over the next five minutes to take control of the game.
Ashlen Dewart – Sr.-F
- Seven points on 3-8 shooting, 1-1 from the FT line.
- Career-high four steals.
- Added five boards, two assists and two blocks.
- Topped 800 points for her UTC career.
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F
- Flirted with a quadruple-double with 10 points, nine boards, seven assists and nine steals.
Shot 4-12 from the field, 2-2 from the FT line>
- Career-high for steals…most steals in the SoCon this season.
- Steals tied for second in a game in UTC history…most since Nancy Smith had nine against Mercer on Jan. 18, 1989.
- Now has 1,118 career points…needs six more to pass Nancy Smith (1988-91) to move into 20th place on the Mocs all-time scoring list.
- Has 777 career rebounds, passing Kim Brown (1988-93) for eighth place on the Mocs all-time list.
Chelsey Shumpert – Fr.-G
- Team-high 15 points on 5-9 shooting, 3-7 from 3-pt. range and 2-2 from the FT line.
- Ninth game in double-figures this season.