Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Davidson vs. Chattanooga
Southern Conference Tournament Finals
U.S. Cellular Center – Asheville, N.C.
Monday – March 10, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs won their 25th-straight game with a 71-45 victory over Davidson tonight in the Southern Conference Championship game. UTC improves to 29-3 overall while Wildcats end their season with a 16-16 mark.
- Head Coach Jim Foster is the first to take four women’s programs to the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Tournament. Seven other coaches have taken three teams to the Big Dance. He also guided St. Joseph’s (6), Vanderbilt (10) and Ohio State (10) to the NCAA Tournament. This is the 27th time in his 36-year career he has guided a team to the NCAA Tournament.
- This is the 15th SoCon title for Chattanooga since the event began in 1983. The Mocs have never lost in the finals.
- By earning the league’s automatic bid, the Mocs will make their 12th appearance in the NCAA Tournament … 10th since 2001.
- The Mocs are 58-7 over the last two seasons.
- UTC’s 25-straight wins is the fourth-longest active run in the nation…last loss was at Hawai’i (60-55) on Nov. 30…it is also the fourth longest streak in school history.
- UTC’s 29 wins ties last year’s school record.
- Head coach Jim Foster won his 812th game today…11th women’s coach in the NCAA to reach that mark. His 36-year mark stands at 812-310. The 2013 Hall of Fame inductee is the only coach in NCAA Division I history - men or women - to lead three different teams to at least 200 wins (St. Joseph’s: 248, Vanderbilt: 256, Ohio State: 279). This marked his 27th season with 20 or more wins, tied for seventh most in Division I.
- The Mocs are 3-1 all-time against Davidson in the SoCon Tournament…second straight season the Mocs beat the Wildcats in the finals.
- Davidson cut the Mocs lead to one (13-12) on a layup by Laura Murray with 12:43 left in the first half. Chattanooga used a 13-2 run over the next five minutes to take control of the game.
- The Mocs held Davidson scoreless for five minutes in the middle of the second half to allow an 11 points lead (43-32) to balloon into a 23 point cushion (55-32).
- UTC shot a season-high 50.0% from 3-pt. range (7-14).
- UTC’s average margin of victory in the Tournament was nearly 23 points.
- The Mocs bench outscored Davidson 33-7.
- UTC scored 13 second-chance points on 11 offensive rebounds…Davidson only got 4 on 12 offensive boards.
- The Mocs scored 21 points off of 17 Davidson turnovers. The Wildcats scored seven points on UTC’s 10 turnovers.
- With Davidson leaving the SoCon for the Atlantic 10 next season, the series with the Wildcats is likely over for the foreseeable future. Chattanooga holds a 36-9 advantage, including seven straight wins.
Alex Black – Sr.-G – SoCon All-Tournament First Team
- Career-high 22 points on 9-13 shooting, 2-2 from 3-pt. range and 2-4 from the FT line.
- First 20-point game of her career.
- 10th game in double-figures this season.
- Added two boards.
Ashlen Dewart – Sr.-F – SoCon All-Tournament Second Team
- Only played seven minutes today after a first-half leg injury.
- Totaled 24 points and 14 rebounds in three games in the Tourney.
Faith Dupree – Sr.-F
- 10 points in 14 minutes off the bench.
- Shot 5-7 from the field.
- Fourth game in double-figures this season.
- Did not score 10+ points in any SoCon game this season.
- Added four boards.
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F – SoCon Tournament MVP
- 12 points on 5-11 shooting, 2-2 from 3-pt. range.
- Team-high seven rebounds.
- Game-high five assists.
- Added a block and two steals.
- Averaged 15.3 ppg and 9.0 rpg in the tournament…also chipped in 13 assists, four blocks and five steals in the three games.
- Grabbed her 800th career rebound in the game…804 total…eighth all-time at UTC.
Jasmine Joyner – Fr.-F
- Four points, six boards and four blocks in 19 minutes off the bench.
- 17 points, 17 rebounds and 10 blocks in three games off the bench in the Tournament.
- 53 blocks this SEASON is a UTC freshman record and sixth on the Mocs CAREER list.
Ka’Vonne Towns – Jr.-F
- 10 points in 16 minutes off the bench.
- Shot 3-4 from the field, 2-2 from 3-pt. range and 2-2 from the FT line.
- Added five rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Sixth game in double-figures this season.