The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team won its sixth match in a row with a 4-3 comeback win at Kennesaw State today. The Mocs improved to 11-2 overall with the road win this afternoon.
The Owls lead was short-lived as Polk made quick work of Gabriela Bueno (6-0, 6-0) at No. 1. She improved to 5-0 in the spring while tying the match at 1-1.
Sophomore Kelsey Coots put the Mocs back up 2-1 with her (6-0, 6-3) win over Isabela Castro at No. 4. It was her fourth consecutive win as she improved to 8-2 at No. 4 in the spring.
KSU won the next two matches to go up 3-2 and need just one more win to take the team victory. Junior Claire Mulyadi won her first set in her No. 5 match against Tamara Plocher. She lost the second 6-2, but battled back in the third for a 6-1 win. It was Mulyadi’s seventh win in a row as she improved to 11-1 in the spring.
That evened the score at 3-3, but UTC was trailing in the final bout. Senior Alexa Flynn lost her opening set, but forced a third with a win in the second frame. She was down 3-1 and fought off a break point against Jana Hueckinghaus at No. 3. Hueckinghaus also had a game-point to go up 4-2, but Flynn broke her to tie the set at 3-3. Flynn won the next three games to give the Mocs the overall win.
Chattanooga returns home this weekend for a Southern Conference match against Appalachian State. First serve is set for 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 22, at the UTC Tennis Courts. A link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 4, Kennesaw State 3
Mar 20, 2014 at Fair Oaks Park (Marietta, Ga.)
1. Virginie Stein/Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) - 8-5
2. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Tamara Plocher/Gabriela Bueno (KSU) - 8-4
3. Jana Hueckinghaus/Blaire LaSure (KSU) def. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) - 8-4
1. Virginie Stein (KSU) def. Kayla Jones (UTC) - 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
2. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) - 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Isabela Castro (KSU) - 6-0, 6-3
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Tamara Plocher (KSU) - 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
6. Katie Polk (UTC) def. Gabriela Bueno (KSU) - 6-0, 6-0