The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team dropped it last regular season home match against Samford 6-1 today. The Mocs fall to 6-13 overall and 1-8 in league play.
There was a lot of excitement at the UTC Tennis Courts in the early part of this match. The Mocs put up a valiant effort in doubles play, led by senior Jorge Varon and junior Pavels Grigorjevs’ comeback win at No. 1. They trailed early, but were able to defeat Elliott Barnwell and Trey Carter 8-6.
That left the No. 3 match between UTC freshmen Austin Boaz and Derrick Brown and Samford’s Austin Ferrer and Liam Sullivan as the decider for the first point of the day. After a back-and-forth battle a tiebreaker was needed to see who got the team point. The tiebreaker was then tied at 6-6 before Samford won the last two points for the win.
““Obviously the match had a good start,” said head coach Carlos Garcia. “Unfortunately losing that doubles point by just a couple of points, I believe hurt a little bit of our momentum.
We did play well in the doubles, but against Samford you need any point you can get. We played great doubles today, again it came down to a point here or there, but I think if we had won that could have made a more positive start in our singles.”
At No. 6 singles freshman Derrick Brown defeated his opponent (6-2, 6-0) adding a little bit of momentum as he heads into the Southern Conference Championships in a week. Unfortunately, Chattanooga lost the other five singles matches in straight sets.
The Mocs will have a weekend off before competing in the Southern Conference Championships. This year the Mocs have an advantage with not having to travel with the tournament at the Champions Club in Hixson. It has not been decided who UTC will play yet. Action takes place on April 16-19 and seeds will be announced on Sunday.
Chattanooga 1, Samford 6
Apr 09, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Jorge Varon/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Elliot Barnwell/ Trey Carter (Samford) 8-6
2. Austin Akers/Fares Kilani (Samford) def. Luke Saunders/Gino Delavalle (UTC) – 8-3
3. Austin Ferrer/Liam Sullivan (Samford) def. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) – 8-7 (6)
1. Elliot Barnwell (Samford) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
2. Fares Kilani (Samford) def. Jorge Varon (UTC) - 6-2, 6-3
3. Austin Akers (Samford) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) - 6-4, 7-5
4. Trey Carter (Samford) def. Gino Delavalle (UTC) - 6-2, 6-1
5. Liam Sullivan (Samford) def. Austin Boaz (UTC) - 6-0, 6-0
6. Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Austin Ferrer (Samford) - 6-2, 6-0