(Photo Credit: GoMocs.com): and the Chattanooga Mocs begin their quest for a spot in the NCAA Championship field Thursday at the NCAA West Regional in Cle Elum, Wash.
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn..---Seven is universally considered a lucky number. It has a mystically magical connotation with seven days in a week, seven colors in the rainbow, seven wonders of the world, seven continents and on and on. Then there is this: seven straight NCAA appearances for the Chattanooga Mocs women’s golf team.
Take those good spirits, vibes, karma, etc., and maybe this is the year for the second trip to the NCAA Championship for the Mocs. They are one of 24 teams along with six individual student-athletes looking to advance to the finals May 20-23 at Tulsa Country Club.
The 2008-09 Chattanooga squad finished eighth at the Central Regional on the Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio and took on the nation’s top teams at Caves Valley in Maryland. Other versions have come close since, and Head Coach Colette Murray takes an experienced squad westward. All five starters have regional experience from last season at Auburn.
First comes Timber Creek at Suncadia Resort and the NCAA West Regional. Play begins Thursday, May 8, and ends Saturday, May 10. The top eight teams and two individuals on non-advancing teams move on to the NCAA Championship.
Southern Conference Golfer of the Year Jordan Britt (Chattanooga, Tenn.) leads the Mocs into her fourth postseason event. She joins former teammates Emma de Groot (2008-11) and Maria Juliana Loza (2009-12) as the only Mocs to play in four NCAA Regionals.
Britt averages 74.18 strokes per round on the season and has tied de Groot’s season record from 2007-08 for top five finishes with six. She owns school records for eagles in a season (5) and career (7), and Britt is tied for season marks in par or better rounds (10) and rounds in the 60’s (3).
She’s not alone in a sterling 2013-14. SoCon Champion Emily McLennan (74.68) and All-SoCon performer Agathe Sauzon (75.94) are joined by Isabella Loza (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Porsche Campbell (Vancouver, Canada) rounding out the lineup. This group has fashioned a 301.50 scoring average which is currently 0.08 shots ahead of 2010-11’s school record (301.58).
Chattanooga is paired with Tennessee and New Mexico Thursday. The first group tees off hole number one at 3:55 p.m., Eastern time. Click the live scoring link above to access tee times and scoring for the event when available.
NCAA WEST REGIONAL – MAY 8-10
TOURNAMENT FIELD (By Seed)
USC, Arizona St., Oklahoma, Washington, Clemson, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Michigan St., Iowa St., GRU Augusta, Oregon, Texas A&M, UC Davis, Denver, San Diego St., Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Tennessee, CHATTANOOGA, New Mexico, New Mexico St., Portland St., Detroit. Individuals: Alison Knowles (La.-Monroe), Regan de Guzman (San Jose St.), Clariss Guce (Cal St. Northridge), Fabiola Arriaga (UTSA), Madchen Ly (Fresno St.), Alexandra White (BYU)
LAST TIME OUT
The Mocs extended two important streaks. The team won their fifth straight Southern Conference Championship while Emily McLennan became the fourth Moc in a row to capture medalist honors. McLennan shot 222 (73-75-74) to win by four. Three of her teammates earned top 10’s (Jordan Britt 3rd, Isabella Loza T6th & Agathe Sauzon T10th).
Chattanooga eyes a return to the NCAA Championship. This year’s event is May 20-23 at Tulsa Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.
• Seven years the Chattanooga Mocs have had a women’s golf program. Seven years it has been a part of NCAA Regional play. Emma de Groot (2008-11) made the field as an individual in 2007-08 and the team has been in ever since.
• The 2008-09 team finished eighth at the Central Regional to advance to the NCAA Championship at Caves Valley (Md.).
• Team History in NCAA Postseason (*Finals):
• Top individual finishes in NCAA Postseason (*Finals):
Year: Finish/S-A Scores
2008: T17/Emma de Groot, 73-76-74=223
2009: T35/Emma de Groot/Christine Wolf, 231
*2009: T39/Emma de Groot, 79-73-76-76=304
2010: T30/Emma de Groot, 71-75-74=220
2011: T8/Maria Juliana Loza, 73-78-72=223
2012: T19/Maria Juliana Loza, 73-72-76=221
2013: T51/Jordan Britt, 77-74-73=224
• Chattanooga records in NCAA Postseason play:
1: 293, 2010/71, Emma de Groot, 2010
2: 298, 2013/70, Christine Wolf, 2010
3: 302, 2012/70, Jordan Britt, 2012
18: 293, 2010/70, C. Wolf/J. Britt, 2010/2012
36: 594, 2010/142, Christine Wolf, 2010
Total: 910, 2010/220, Emma de Groot, 2010
• SoCon Honors: Britt (Golfer of the Year/All-SoCon), McLennan (All-SoCon), Sauzon (All-SoCon) and Colette Murray (Coach of the Year).
• Chattanooga golfers have 12 top 10’s including seven top 5’s over the past seven tournaments.
• Record Setters for 2013-14:
Team 36-hole total: 577, Web.com Intercollegiate
Team Rounds less than 300: 14
36-hole score (Ind.): 137 (-7), Jordan Britt, Web.com
Eagles (Season): Jordan Britt, 5
Eagles (Career): Jordan Britt, 7
Birdies (Season): Emily McLennan, 85
• This year’s model is in a fight for the best scoring average in school history. Its 301.50 (32 rounds) is 0.08 ahead of 2010-11’s 301.58 over 30 rounds.
• The Mocs have combined for 25 individual par or better rounds led by Britt with 10. Sauzon has eight while McLennan checks in with seven. Their combined 25 ties the school record (25 - 2010-11).
• Britt’s 10 are tied with de Groot’s record in 2009-10.
• Britt is second all-time with 20 career par or better rounds. de Groot is first with 32.
• Britt’s six top 5’s are tied with de Groot’s season record from 2007-08.
• Britt’s three rounds in the 60’s matches Christine Wolf’s (2008-11) school mark set in 2010-11.
• There were seven SoCon Golfer of the Week honors awarded this year; four went to the Scenic City ladies. Britt won three (2/26, 3/19 & 4/9). McLennan earned hers March 26.
• The Mocs posted its second best round (282-Web.com) and third-best 54-hole total (876-Starmount) all-time this season.
• The Mocs have two wins this season capturing the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic by two over Campbell and the SoCon Championship. It’s the 15th and 16th tourney titles all-time.
• Sauzon led the way at Starmount Forest Country Club earning her second win. She tallied a three-under par 210 winning by three strokes. Sauzon and Emma de Groot (2008-11) are the only multiple winners for the Mocs.
• Best scores of 2013-14:
1: 282, Web.com/67, J. Britt, Web.com
2: 289, Starmount/69, J. Britt, 2x, Cardinal Cup/SoCon
3: 291, Central District/69, A. Sauzon, Starmount
Total: 876, Starmount/210, A. Sauzon, Starmount