Chattanooga Football Postgame Notes
Samford at Chattanooga
Finley Stadium - Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday - Oct. 20, 2012
- UTC improved to 4-3 overall and 3-1 in the SoCon with a 20-13 win over Samford ... the Bulldogs dropped to 5-3 overall and 3-3 in SoCon play.
- Both teams combined for 155 yards of total offense in the first half...UTC 90 and Samford 65.
- Samford Series Notes...UTC leads 26-9-3...19-5-2 at home...4-2 in Finley Stadium...Mocs have won four straight.
- There was only one turnover in the game tonight, an INT by UTC linebacker Gunner Miller...Samford came into the game tied for the league lead in takeaways with 15 (10 INTs & 5 FR)...Mocs came into the game leading the SoCon in fewest turnovers with 5 (2 fumbles and 3 INTs).
- UTC has not turned the ball over for three consecutive games...it is the second time the Mocs have gone three consecutive games without a turnover in the Russ Huesman era (Presbyterian, Wofford & Samford in 2009).
- Samford's fourth quarter TD was its first against the Mocs since the third quarter of the 2010 game in Finley Stadium.
- The Mocs have allowed just one TD in each of the last three games...it is the second time that has happened in the Huesman era, also against Presbyterian (29-13), Wofford (38-9) and Samford (14-7) in 2009.
- Samford's Cameron Yaw connected on a 52-yard FG at the end of the first half...longest in the SoCon this season...it is the longest on record against the Mocs.
- The Mocs allowed 34 points to Appalachian State in the SoCon opener on Sept. 22...since then, UTC has only allowed 33 points in three games.
- UTC held Samford to 111 yards on 32 plays in the first three quarters...the Bulldogs racked up 148 yards on 35 plays in the fourth quarter alone.
- UTC held Samford to a season-low 259 yards of total offense.
Wes Dothard (LB - Jr.) - Buck Buchanan Award Candidate
- Team-high 11 tackles.
- Second game this season with 10+ tackles...seventh of his career.
- Also added a PBU.
Jacob Huesman (Fr. - QB)
- 18-23 passing for 164 yards and one TD.
- Pass to J.J. Jackson for 35 yards in the third quarter was his 100th completion of the season...UTC freshman record...he is 106-157 with nine TDs and 1,039 yards on the year.
Russ Huesman (Head Coach - 4th Year)
- 21-19 overall...15-13 in the SoCon.
- 4-0 vs. Samford.
Sema'je Kendall (DB - Fr.)
- Season-high six tackles.
- PBU on the final play of the game.
- Leads the team and is No. 2 in the SoCon with seven passes defended.
Gunner Miller (LB - Jr.)
- 2nd INT of the season in the second quarter...third of his career.
- Finished with six tackles.
Chaz Moore (DB - Jr.)
- Career-high eight tackles.
Nick Pollard (P/K - So.)
- Averaged 44.5 yards per punt on six attempts.
- Pinned Samford inside the 20 four times.
- 49-yard punt late in the 4th quarter flipped the field and allowed the Mocs to hold on for the win.
- 2-2 on FGs (29 &36)...6-10 on FGs this season...11-12 from inside 30 yards for his career.
Zack Rayl (DE - So.)
- Career-high five tackles.
- Recorded a sack and another 1.5 TFLs.
Terrell Robinson (QB - So.)
- Season-high nine receptions for 65 yards.
- 5-6 passing for 15 yards.
- 17 catches last two games.
Davis Tull (DE - So.)
- Finished with five solo tackles, including two sacks.
- Leads the SoCon with 8.0 sacks.
- Leads the SoCon with 9.5 TFLs.