The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the Southern Conference Tournament with today’s 4-3 win over UNCG. The Mocs are in the league semis for the first time since 2007.
The match began with singles play and the two teams split the six points. After senior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) scored a win at No. 1, the Mocs quickly fell behind 3-1. Seniors Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) both needed to win at No. 3 and No. 6 respectively.
Chopra fell behind early, losing the first set 6-4 to Gaston Murray. He bounced back with a 6-3 advantage in the second and picked up the point with a 6-4 win in the third.
“Ankit stole a big one for us at No. 3 against a very tough opponent,” stated head coach Carlos Garcia. “He battled in the last two sets and kept us alive after falling behind 3-1.
Tresnan scored a straight-set win over Cameron Smith (7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-4)) to force the action to doubles play. He needed a tiebreaker in each frame to score the equalizing point.
“I liked our chances with Jackson on the court at No. 6,” added Garcia. “He played very well today and delivered in some pressure situations.”
The Mocs were impressive in the first two doubles matches. Tresnan and senior Manuel Barroetavena scored an 8-1 win over William Albright and Jimmy Rouche at No. 3. Chopra and Vieira clinched the team win with an 8-3 victory over James Dougherty and Randy Phillips at No. 1.
UTC improves to 12-8 overall while the Spartans end their season at 14-5. The Mocs face Elon on its home court in tomorrow’s semifinals at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) and a link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga dropped a 5-2 home contest to the Phoenix on March 23. Chopra and Barroetavena scored singles wins while Tresnan and Barroetavena has a doubles victory in that match.
Chattanooga 4, UNCG 3
1. Roberto Vieira/Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) - 8-3
2. Daniel Mack/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) vs. Chris Smith/John Peacey (UTC) - 5-2, unfinished
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. William Albright/Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) - 8-1
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) - 6-0, 6-1
2. James Dougherty (UNCG) def. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) - 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 7-5, 6-4
5. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
6. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) - 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2,5,3,6)