The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team picked up a 6-1 road win at Davidson today. The victory improves the Lady Mocs to 14-4 overall and 6-3 in Southern Conference action. The 14 wins are the most for the program since going 14-10 in 2000.
UTC started off the day sweeping the three doubles matches to go up 1-0. Junior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and freshman Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) started the match with an 8-3 win over Catherine Wood and Elise Held at No. 3. Nurik and Mulyadi have won three-straight and are 5-1 as a tandem in SoCon matches.
Sophomore Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) and freshman Kaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) clinched the point with an 8-3 win over Brites Moniz-Soares and Stephani Synn at No. 1. Seniors Emily Hangstefer (Signal Mountain, Tenn.) and Shaina Singh (Vancouver, B.C.) remained undefeated as a pair with an 8-6 win against Katharine Dicconson and Nisha Crouser at No. 2.
Hangstefer kept the momentum going in singles action with a (6-0, 6-0) shutout of Couser at No. 4 singles. Singh made it 3-0 for UTC with a (6-3, 6-2) win over Wood at No. 5. It was her third straight win as she moves to 19-9 overall, tying her career-high for singles wins.
Nurik clinched the team victory with a (6-2, 6-1) win over Synn at No. 1. It was Nurik's fourth straight win as she improves to a team high 21-9 overall. Chadwell won her sixth straight with a (6-4, 6-1) win over Dicconson at No. 3 while Mulyadi defeated Frizzi Bschorer (6-2, 6-1) at No. 6.
The Lady Mocs only loss came at No. 2 when Flynn had to retire after a minor injury. She was up 4-2 in the third set against Moniz-Soares but was unable to continue.
"It was another good day for the Lady Mocs," stated head coach Jeff Clark. "We got strong play and leadership from our seniors in singles and doubles and another good day from Jenna Nurik. We played really good tennis today."
Chattanooga returns home for Senior Day on Wednesday, April 11. Hangstefer, Singh and fellow seniors Brianna Wishing (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) and Charlotte Bossy (Koekelare, Belgium) will play their final home match against Lee University. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) at the UTC Tennis Courts and link for live scoring will be available on the women's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 6, Davidson 1
1. Alexa Flynn/Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Brites Moniz-Soares/Stephani Synn (DAV) - 8-3
2. Emily Hangstefer/Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Katharine Dicconson/Nisha Crouser (DAV) - 8-6
3. Jenna Nurik/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Catherine Wood/Elise Held (DAV) - 8-3
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Stephani Synn (DAV) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) - 1-6, 6-3, 2-4, retired
3. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Katharine Dicconson (DAV) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Nisha Crouser (DAV) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Catherine Wood (DAV) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Frizzi Bschorer (DAV) - 6-2, 6-1