The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team saw its 2012 season come to a close with a 4-0 loss to UNCG in the semifinals of the Southern Conference Tournament in Charleston, S.C., today. The Lady Mocs played the Spartans to a match that was much closer than the final score indicated.
With the loss, Chattanooga finishes the season with a 16-6 overall record. It is the most wins for UTC since 1999.
"I am extremely proud of our team," stated head coach Jeff Clark "We are disappointed that we did not make it to the finals, but we showed great character and the same fight we had all season."
After dropping the No. 1 doubles match, Chattanooga had a big win at No. 3. Junior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and freshman Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) defeated Kayla Gammie and Annette Rios (8-4) to square the doubles results. Gammie and Rios were previously undefeated in SoCon matches with an 11-0 mark.
The Lady Mocs senior duo of Shaina Singh (Vancouver, B.C.) and Emily Hangstefer (Signal Mountain, Tenn.) was down 2-6 in their match at No. 2 before battling back. They won the next five games to take a 7-6 lead, but eventually fell (9-7) to Devon Sutherland and Alex Whitehead.
Chattanooga was unable to get the momentum back in singles play. Nurik lost quickly at No. 1, falling to Nitooli Wilkins (6-0, 6-3) in straight sets.
Battled hard in singles. Showed the fight and character we had all season. UCNG played really well at nO. 1
Dilara Yurtkuran put UNCG up 3-0 with a (6-2, 6-4) win over Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) at No. 3. Flynn was not 100% after sitting out the previous two weeks with an injury. The deciding point came at No. 5 when Stephanie Falcon defeated Hangstefer in three sets (3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2).
UNCG 4, Chattanooga 0
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Alexa Flynn/Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) 8-1
2. Devon Sutherland/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Shaina Singh/Emily Hangstefer (UTC) 9-7
3. Jenna Nurik/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Kayla Gammie/Annette Rios (UNCG) 8-4
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Jenna Nurik (UTC) 6-0, 6-3
2. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) vs. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0, unfinished
3. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) vs. Shaina Singh (UTC) 6-1, 5-7, 0-2, unfinished
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
6. Devon Sutherland (UNCG) vs. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) 7-5, 4-4, unfinished