Chattanooga Football Postgame Notes
Chattanooga at Western Carolina
Whitmire Stadium - Cullowhee, N.C.
Saturday - Nov. 3, 2012
- The Mocs posted a 45-24 win at Western Carolina today...UTC improves to 5-4 overall and 4-2 in the Southern Conference...Western drops to 1-9 overall and 0-8 in league play.
- Chattanooga is one of four teams in the SoCon with only two losses...Georgia Southern (7-2, 6-2 SoCon), Wofford (7-2, 5-2 SoCon) and Appalachian State (7-3, 5-2 SoCon)...UTC cannot win a tiebreaker for the SoCon's automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs, but the Mocs can share the SoCon title by winning out.
- UTC trailed 24-22 after three quarters, but scored 23 in the fourth for the win...the Mocs are just 4-14 when trailing after three quarters in the Russ Huesman era. The other three fourth quarter comebacks for the Mocs in the Huesman era were at Western Carolina and The Citadel (home) in 2009 and at Furman in 2010.
- At the half, Western Carolina had 24 points, 255 yards of offense and 13 first downs. The Mocs defense shut out the Catamounts in the second half, while allowing just 33 yards of offense and one first down.
- The 45 points are a season-high for the Mocs.
- UTC had two plays for over 50 yards in one game for the first time this season...Jacob Huesman had a 51-yard TD run in the third quarter...Kendrix Huitt had a 74-yard TD run in the fourth quarter.
- Huitt and Huesman's 50-yard+ TD runs were the first for the Mocs of that length since Bryan Fitzgerald had a 65-yarder at Arkansas on Oct. 6, 2007.
- Freshman RB Kendrix Huitt (137) and freshman QB Jacob Huesman (130) both had 100+ yards rushing today...first time two UTC rushers ran for over 100 yards since Bryan Fitzgerald (134) and Erroll Wynn (115) against Appalachian State in 2007.
- UTC's 367 rushing yards are a season-high and the most since putting up 404 in a 49-14 win against VMI on Oct. 15, 1994.
- Sophomore QB Terrell Robinson capped off a 13-play, 98-yard drive in the fourth quarter icing the game with a three-yard TD run...it is the longest scoring drive in terms of yards for UTC in the Russ Huesman era.
- UTC is 3-0 in SoCon road games this season...the Mocs are 9-6 on the road in league play in the Huesman era.
- Chattanooga is 5-1 on the year and 17-3 under Huesman when outrushing its opponent (367-112).
Shane Heatherly (Sr. - LB)
- Career-high 10 tackles.
- Recovered a fumble.
- Hails from nearby Waynesville, N.C.
Jacob Huesman (Fr. - QB)
- 130 rushing yards and two TDs on 12 carries.
- Scored on a 51-yard rush in the third quarter...also had a five-yard TD run in the fourth quarter...second time with two rushing TDs in a game.
- 364 rushing yards and three TDs in last three games.
- Six rushing TDs this season ties Kenyon Earl (1991) for No. 2 on the Mocs' freshman list...record is seven by James Roberts (1989).
- 14-21 passing for 107 yards, one TD and two INTs.
- Threw his first INT since the Appalachian State game on Sept. 22.
- Passes Stan Nix (1987) for second-most passing yards by a freshman at UTC with 1,249 yards...record is 1,643 by Kenyon Earl (1991).
Russ Huesman (Head Coach - 4th Year)
- 22-20 overall...16-14 in the SoCon.
- 4-0 vs. Western Carolina.
Kendrix Huitt (Fr. - RB)
- Career-highs with 137 yards on 15 carries and one TD.
- 74-yard run in the fourth quarter is the longest play of the year for the Mocs...longest TD run for UTC since Eldra Buckley had a 76-yarder against Tennessee Tech on Aug. 31, 2006.
J.J. Jackson (Sr. - RB)
- Career-high 63 rushing yards on eight carries.
- Career-long 24-yard rush in the first quarter.
- Also had three catches for 24 yards.
D.J. Key (Jr. - DB)
- INT in the second quarter...second of the year and fifth of his career.
- Added nine stops.
Henrique Ribeiro (Fr. - K)
- 32-yard FG in the second quarter.
- 2-3 on the year...first since the season opener at South Florida (Sept. 1).
Terrell Robinson (So. - QB)
- 30 yards and a TD on five carries.
- Three catches for a team-high 31 yards.
Davis Tull (So. - DE)
- Recorded his SoCon leading 10th sack of the season.
- Third highest single-season total at UTC...record is 12.0 by Josh Beard (2009) and Tyler Unzicker (2001).
- Moves into second place on the Mocs' all-time sack list with 15.0 in his career.
- Leads the SoCon with 13.5 TFLs...fifth-highest total in school history.
Kadeem Wise (Jr. - DB)
- INT in the fourth quarter.
- Second of the season and the 10th of his career.
- Passes head coach Russ Huesman (1978-81), among others, to tie for fourth-place now on the Mocs all-time INT list.