MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
Chattanooga (2-6) at LSU (5-0)
Game 9 | Dec. 12, 2012 | 8 p.m. | Maravich Assembly
Ctr. | Baton Rouge, La.
TV: CSS (PxP: Lyn Rollins, Analyst: Collis Temple). Channel lineup in
Chattanooga - Comcast (27/HD: 400) and EPB (32). In north Georgia - Charter
(34), Comcast (27).
RADIO: The Mocs Sports Network flagship station is ESPN
105.1 FM the Zone in Chattanooga. Jim Reynolds is in his 33rd year as the
play-by-play "Voice of the Mocs".
MOCSVISION: Audio (free) is available online at GoMocs.com
via MocsVision. Links for audio and live stats are available on the men's
basketball schedule page.
At a Glance
John Shulman (ETSU '89)
Johnny Jones (LSU '85)
134-133 (9th year)
Record at School
5-0 (1st year)
210-162 (13th year)
Chattanooga closes the pre-holiday schedule at home. Mercer (3 p.m.) comes
to town on Sunday, December 16, followed by Reinhardt (Noon) on Friday,
UTC MOCS CLUB/ALUMNI
EVENT IN ATLANTA JANUARY 2nd
The UTC Mocs Club and the UTC Alumni Association are hosting a pregame
reception for all fans at STATS restaurant in Atlanta prior to the UTC-Georgia
Tech men's basketball game. The event begins at 5 p.m. and concludes at 6:30.
The cost to attend the reception is $25 and includes an appetizer buffet of
cheeseburger sliders, spinach and artichoke dip, roasted vegetables and spicy
buffalo wings, as well as one drink ticket. There is a cash bar during the event.
We are also offering a package where you can attend the reception and get a
game ticket for $35. To RSVP, contact the UTC Mocs Club office at 423-425-4233,
or click here to sign up online. The last day to RSVP is December 28th.
- The first meeting ever with LSU. Leaves just Texas A&M among SEC
schools Chattanooga has not faced. Series note on page 3 of game notes package.
- Welcome home Gee McGhee and Casey Jones. Gee (pronounced
G) is from Baton Rouge out of Redemptorist H.S., while Casey is from New
- First visit to Louisiana for the Mocs since January 2, 1990
at Louisiana-Lafayette (L, 100-84).
- UTC owns a SoCon-best rebounding margin of 8.9 per game.
- The Mocs are tough on the glass at both ends of the floor.
The team paces the SoCon in offensive rebound percentage (.414) and is second
to UNCG in defensive rebound percentage (.737).
- Chattanooga is 14th in the country in offensive boards per
game (15.8) through games of Saturday, December 8. LSU is No. 2 (18.4).
- The Mocs have grabbed 12 or more offensive rebounds in
eight straight contests to open the season. The last time they did that was in
2010-11 (Nov. 22-Dec. 21) recording 12 or more eight times in a row (Louisville
through Reinhardt). The last time they recorded nine in a row was a stretch of
13 straight from Dec. 22, 1997 through February 4, 1998.
- UTC has out-boarded opponents by 10 or more four times
- In the last four games, Chattanooga has attempted just 39
three-pointers, 9.8 per game (10 - LA Tech, 7 at KSU, 12 - Davidson, 10 - EKU).
Last time the team shot as few as 12 was December 20, 2008 at Mississippi
Valley State (12). The seven at Kennesaw State is the fewest attempts since
seven vs. Wofford (2/28/07).
- The Mocs tied their season high against a DI opponent of
nine steals against Eastern Kentucky. Six of those steals and 12 of the
Colonels 19 turnovers came in the second half.
- Drazen Zlovaric leads the SoCon in offensive rebounds per
- Ronrico White is fifth in the SoCon in free throws
attempted (44). He leads all guards. McGhee is 10th with 37.
- Z. Mason is averaging 8.2 boards per game over his last
five. He tied his season high with nine against EKU.
- Mason has seven blocks in his last three contests (2.3
- McGhee is averaging 12.4 points, 2.0 rebounds, 2.4 assists
and 1.4 steals per game over the last five games.
- McGhee opened the season shooting 24.2% (8-33) from the
field, 15.4 percent (4-26) from 3pt range and 30.8% (4-13) on free throws in
his first four games. In the last four, he's made 41.0% (16-39) including 47.5%
(6-16) from beyond the arc and 70.8% (17-24) from the charity stripe.
- McGhee has played 24 or more minutes in every game with a
high of 31 (Troy/EKU). He is the only student-athlete on the squad to do so.
This is the lone meeting with an SEC opponent this season. The women's
basketball team is 2-0 in the SEC with a home win over Tennessee and road
triumph at Alabama.
- UTC is 24-109 vs. current SEC members. (Alabama 3-13,
Arkansas 0-1, Auburn 2-2, Florida 0-1, Georgia 5-26, Kentucky 0-8, Ole Miss
2-6, Mississippi State 4-6, Missouri 0-4, South Carolina 0-1, Tennessee 5-28 &
- Shulman is 1-11 against SEC opposition (Alabama 0-1,
Florida 0-1, Kentucky 0-2, Mississippi State 0-1, Missouri 0-2, Tennessee 1-4).
SCOUTING THE TIGERS
- LSU is undefeated at 5-0, all at home. It has won three of those games by double
- Johnny Jones is 210-162 in 13 years as a head coach, 5-0
in the first season at his alma mater.
- Last game was Nov. 29, a 72-67 win over Seton Hall.
- Shavon Coleman leads three in double digits at 17.4 points
per game while adding 7.6 boards.
- The Tigers shoot 46.1% from the field while limiting the
opposition to 38.7% shooting.
- LSU holds a +9.6 rebound margin and +3.0 turnover margin
for the season. It is forcing 21 turnovers per game with 13.2 steals per
The Chattanooga Mocs lost a legend on Nov. 14, 2012 as former Head Coach
Murray Arnold passed away in Florida. He laid the DI championship foundation
coaching for six years, 1980-85, with a 135-46 record. He coached collegiately
at four institutions (Birmingham Southern, Western Kentucky and Stetson)
amassing a 420-229 mark in 22 seasons. The Mocs captured four SoCon
Championships in six UTC campaigns advancing to three NCAA Tournaments and two
NITs reaching the Elite 8 (NIT) in 1985 and narrowly missing the NCAA Sweet 16
GoMocs.com is the
official website of the Chattanooga Mocs.
The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GoMocs) or on
Twitter (@GoMocsMBB & @GoMocs). Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and
support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.