2012-13 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
Chattanooga (5-8) at Georgia Tech (9-2)
Game 14 | Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013 | 7 p.m. | McCamish Pavilion | Atlanta, Ga.
Media Guide | Schedule | Roster | Tickets (Home) | Georgia Tech
RADIO: The Mocs Sports Network flagship station is ESPN 105.1 FM the Zone in Chattanooga. Jim Reynolds is in his 33rd year as the play-by-play "Voice of the Mocs".
MOCSVISION: Audio (free) is available online at GoMocs.com via MocsVision. Links for audio and live stats are available on the men's basketball schedule page.
UTC returns to league play traveling to Birmingham, Ala., Saturday to face Samford. Game time is scheduled for 8 p.m. (EST).
UTC MOCS CLUB/ALUMNI EVENT IN ATLANTA JANUARY 2nd
The UTC Mocs Club and the UTC Alumni Association are hosting a pregame reception for all fans at STATS restaurant in Atlanta prior to the UTC-Georgia Tech men's basketball game. The event begins at 5 p.m. and concludes at 6:30. The cost to attend the reception is $25 and includes an appetizer buffet of cheeseburger sliders, spinach and artichoke dip, roasted vegetables and spicy buffalo wings, as well as one drink ticket. There is a cash bar during the event.
- First game of four straight on the road for Chattanooga. The squad has played just three road games to date (Kansas, Kennesaw State & LSU). It is 1-2 away from McKenzie Arena.
- UTC's 17th meeting with Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets lead the series 14-2. For more notes on past matchups check out page 3 of the game notes PDF.
- Rebounding has been a Chattanooga strength this season. The squad leads the SoCon in rebounding margin (+7.0) which was ranked No. 26 in the country entering the week.
- The Mocs also lead in offensive rebound percentage claiming 38.6 percent of its own misses. That equates to 15.0 offensive boards per contest which ranks tied for 16th in the nation (West Virginia) through Sunday's games.
- UTC has out-boarded opponents by 10 or more six times thus far with a high of 30 against Reinhardt. The plus-21 at Kennesaw State is the top margin against a DI opponent.
- Chattanooga has been good INSIDE the three-point line over the last three contests. During that span, it is shooting 59.0 percent (79-134) from inside the arc, 19.0 percent (11-58) outside it.
- The Mocs are shooting 64.7 percent from the free throw line this season. In the first 36 minutes of a game, that number is 59.0 percent (147-249), but it jumps up to 83.1 percent (64-77) in the final four minutes of the game. In that stretch, UTC is led by Mason (18-20, 90.0%), White (21-24, 87.5%) and Martynas Bareika (6-6, 100%) who combine to shoot 90 percent (45-50).
- Z. Mason and Ronrico White made the Dr Pepper Classic All-Tournament team with Mason bringing home MVP honors. Both posted new career highs keying wins over High Point, which entered the event 2-0 against SoCon North competition (UNCG & App State) and Utah Valley, which won the Great West Conference in 2011-12.
- Mason averaged 20.5 points and 11 boards per game in the classic. He set new career highs with 26 points, nine FT made, 12 FT attempted and three steals, while tying highs with 13 rebounds and eight field goals made.
- White was outstanding in the opening Dr Pepper Classic game for the Mocs. He posted new career highs in points (21), rebounds (6), FTs made (9) and minutes played (35). He scored 11 points in the final 7:22 of the contest to key the win turning a one-point deficit into a seven-point win.
- Stat leaders over last 5 games (3-2):
- McGhee has played 23 or more minutes in every game with a high of 31 (Troy/EKU/High Point). He is the only student-athlete on the squad to do so averaging a team-best 27.9 minutes per contest. Mason is second at 25.9 minutes per game.
- White has 22 assists over the last six games, 3.7 per contest. He had 14 in the first seven (2.0).
- McGhee is fourth in the SoCon in FT attempted (66) and No. 1 among guards. White is fifth (63).
- UTC is 6-25 (Clemson 2-0, FSU 0-2, Georgia Tech 2-14, Maryland 0-2, North Carolina 0-4, N.C. State 1-0, Virginia Tech 1-1 and Wake Forest 0-2) vs. the ACC.
- The Mocs have never faced Boston College, Duke, Miami or Virginia.
- Last win over a then-current member of the ACC was in the 1985 NIT at home over Clemson, 67-65 in overtime. Chattanooga topped Virginia Tech, 84-70 at home, in 2000 while it was still in the Big EAST.
SCOUTING THE YELLOW JACKETS
- Georgia Tech is 9-2 on the season, 7-0 in the new McCamish Pavilion.
- The Yellow Jackets own wins over Tulane (79-61), Presbyterian (52-38), Rice (54-36), Saint Mary's (65-56), Georgia (62-54), UNCW (73-66), Alabama State (75-41, The Citadel (73-41) and Fordham (73-48).
- Won their last three by 34, 32 and 25 while not allowing the opponent to top 50.
- Brian Gregory is 20-22 in his second year in Atlanta, 192-116 in 10 seasons as a head coach. He was 172-94 in eight campaigns at Dayton.
- Marcus Georges-Hunt leads a balanced attack at 11.1 points per game. Robert Carter, Jr., is next at 9.7 point and a team-best 6.4 rebounds per contest.
- Tech averages 65.9 points while limiting opponents to 53.1 points per game, which is 5th in the country. It allows just 34.5 percent shooting, third in the nation.
The Chattanooga Mocs lost a legend on Nov. 14, 2012 as former Head Coach Murray Arnold passed away in Florida. He laid the DI championship foundation coaching for six years, 1980-85, with a 135-46 record. He coached collegiately at four institutions (Birmingham Southern, Western Kentucky and Stetson) amassing a 420-229 mark in 22 seasons. The Mocs captured four SoCon Championships in six UTC campaigns advancing to three NCAA Tournaments and two NITs reaching the Elite 8 (NIT) in 1985 and narrowly missing the NCAA Sweet 16 in 1982.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GoMocs) or on Twitter (@GoMocsMBB & @GoMocs). Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.