2012-13 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
Chattanooga (5-9/0-1) at Samford (3-11/1-0)
Game 15 | Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013 | 8 p.m. (EST) | Hanna Center | Birmingham, Ala.
Media Guide | Schedule | Roster | Tickets (Home) | Samford
RADIO: The Mocs Sports Network flagship station is ESPN 105.1 FM the Zone in Chattanooga. Jim Reynolds is in his 33rd year as the play-by-play "Voice of the Mocs".
MOCSVISION: Audio (free) is available online at GoMocs.com via MocsVision. Links for audio and live stats are available on the men's basketball schedule page.
UTC stays on the road heading to Charleston, S.C. The Mocs face The Citadel on Thursday, Jan. 10, and then are at College of Charleston on Saturday.
- Tonight is the second game of four straight on the road. The squad played just three road games to date (Kansas, Kennesaw State & LSU) prior to this road swing.
- UTC's 84th meeting with Samford. The Mocs lead the series 48-35, 6-3 since Samford joined the SoCon in 2008-09. For more series notes check out page 3.
- Rebounding has been a Chattanooga strength this season. The squad leads the SoCon in rebounding margin (+5.3). The Mocs also lead in offensive rebound percentage claiming 37.4 percent of its own misses. That equates to 14.4 offensive boards per contest which ranks tied for 24th in the nation through Wednesday's games.
- UTC has out-boarded opponents by 10 or more six times thus far with a high of 30 against Reinhardt. The plus-21 at Kennesaw State is the top margin against a DI opponent.
- Chattanooga has been good INSIDE the three-point line over the last four contests. During that span, it is shooting 56.5 percent (95-168) from inside the arc, 21.6 percent (16-74) outside it.
- The Mocs are 10th in the SoCon in free throw percentage at 64.3 percent, but are very good at the end of contests. The squad hits 83.3 percent (65-78) in the last four minutes of games, compared to 58.8 percent (157-267) in the first 36. Z. Mason leads the way at 90 percent (18-20) followed by Ronrico White at 87.5 percent (21-24).
- Mason and White made the Dr Pepper Classic All-Tournament team with Mason bringing home MVP honors. Both posted new career highs keying wins over High Point, which entered the event 2-0 against SoCon North competition (UNCG & App State) and Utah Valley, which won the Great West Conference in 2011-12.
- Mason averaged 20.5 points and 11 boards per game in the classic. He set new career highs with 26 points, nine FT made, 12 FT attempted and three steals, while tying highs with 13 rebounds and eight field goals made.
- White was outstanding in the opening Dr Pepper Classic game for the Mocs. He posted new career highs in points (21), rebounds (6), FTs made (9) and minutes played (35). He scored 11 points in the final 7:22 of the contest to key the win turning a one-point deficit into a seven-point win.
- Stat leaders over last 5 games (3-2):
- McGhee has played 23 or more minutes in every game with a high of 33 (at Georgia Tech). He is the only student-athlete on the squad to do so averaging a team-best 28.3 minutes per contest. White is second at 26.0 minutes per game.
- White has 27 assists over the last seven games, 3.9 per contest. He had 14 in the first seven (2.0).
- White is fourth in the SoCon in FT attempted (68) and No. 1 among guards. McGhee is tied for fifth (66).
- Chattanooga has been the dominant program since joining the SoCon in 1977-78 after winning the 1977 NCAA Division II title.
- UTC has won 28 championships in 35 seasons in the league including 10 regular-season (prior to division play starting in 1994-95), eight division and 10 tournament. Davidson is second during that span with 19, 11 of which are of the division variety.
- The Mocs 20 regular-season/tourney titles are far and away the most through those 35 campaigns followed by East Tennessee State (now in Atlantic Sun) with nine (3 reg season/6 tourney) and Davidson (1 reg season/7 tourney) with eight.
- Chattanooga has won a title of some kind in 19 of its 35 years in the SoCon.
- UTC is 352-204 in SoCon regular season games - 216-62 at home, 136-142 on the road.
SCOUTING THE BULLDOGS
- Samford is 3-11, 2-3 in the Hanna Center. 1-0 in SoCon play, 1-0 at home.
- Bennie Seltzer is in his first year in Birmingham. He was an assistant under Tom Crean at Indiana last season.
- Tim Williams leads Samford averaging 14.4 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. Raijon Kelly adds 14.0 points and 3.6 assists per contest.
- The Bulldogs are averaging 58.8 points per game shooting 41.6 percent from the field, 33.2 percent from three-point range and 63.7 percent from the free throw line.
- Opponents score 69.8 points per contest shooting 45.5 percent from the floor, 36.7 percent beyond the arc and 71.6 percent from the charity stripe.
The Chattanooga Mocs lost a legend on Nov. 14, 2012 as former Head Coach Murray Arnold passed away in Florida. He laid the DI championship foundation coaching for six years, 1980-85, with a 135-46 record. He coached collegiately at four institutions (Birmingham Southern, Western Kentucky and Stetson) amassing a 420-229 mark in 22 seasons. The Mocs captured four SoCon Championships in six UTC campaigns advancing to three NCAA Tournaments and two NITs reaching the Elite 8 (NIT) in 1985 and narrowly missing the NCAA Sweet 16 in 1982.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GoMocs) or on Twitter (@GoMocsMBB & @GoMocs). Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.