The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team improved to 4-1 in the spring with a 7-0 win over North Alabama at the Hixson Racquet Club today. The Mocs won nine of 10 matches and are off to their best start since 2008.
UTC took the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Senior Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) was impressive at No. 2 singles today, scoring his first win of the spring. He only lost one game in a straight-sets win over Guillaume Dechoz (6-0, 6-1). Senior Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) moved up to the top spot, scoring a (6-0, 6-3) two-set win over Fuery. Barroetavena is undefeated in the spring at 4-0 and leads the team with a 12-5 overall record.
Senior Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) needed three sets to defeat Rob Whitsitt (4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)) at No. 3, while senior Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) won a battle with Kavalenka at No. 4 (7-5, 6-4). Sophomore Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) and freshman Gino Delavalle (Rosario, Argentina) also had singles wins.
The Mocs are back in action this weekend, hosting Austin Peay on Friday, Feb. 8. Be sure to check back to GoMocs.com for specific time and location. A link for live scoring will also be available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, North Alabama 0
Feb 03, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Hixson Racquet Club)
1. Aliaksei Kavalenka/Matt Feury (UNA) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 9-8 (8-6)
2. Ankit Chopra/Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. Guillaume Dechoz/Rob Whitsitt (UNA) - 8-5
3. William Disterdick/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Mirko Sommerfeld/Alex Weber (UNA) - 8-3
1. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Matt Feury (UNA) - 6-0, 6-3
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Guillaume Dechoz (UNA) - 6-0, 6-1
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Rob Whitsitt (UNA) - 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Aliaksei Kavalenka (UNA) - 7-5, 6-4
5. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Jonathan Vick (UNA) - 6-0, 6-4
6. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Mirko Sommerfeld (UNA) - 6-2, 6-4