The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 match at No. 22 North Carolina today. The Mocs were swept for the first time this season, dropping their overall record to 5-3. The Tar Heels improved to 6-2.
UNC won all 10 matches on the day, but the Mocs did push two singles contests to three sets. Senior Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) dropped his first set 6-2 to No. 77 Brett Clark at No. 2. He fought back to win the second 7-5. He lost the super-breaker in the third 10-8 for his first loss of the spring. He is still an impressive 7-1 in spring dual matches.
Senior Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) also lost a tough three setter to Maik Ulrich at No. 5. Tresnan lost the first set (4-6) before winning the second (6-2). He lost the super-breaker in the third 10-6. It was also his first loss of the spring season.
The Mocs are back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 27, when they host a rescheduled match with Lee University. First serve is set for 2:30 p.m. (E.S.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts. A link for live scoring is available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
#22 North Carolina 7, Chattanooga 0
Feb 24, 2013 at Chapel Hill, N.C. (Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center)
1. William Parker/Brett Clark (NC) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 8-5
2. Nelson Vick/Maik Ulrich (NC) def. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 8-5
3. Oystein Steiro/Andrew Gores (NC) def. Stephen Crofford/John Peacey (UTC) - 8-3
1. #80 Nelson Vick (NC) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 6-1, 6-0
2. #77 Brett Clark (NC) def. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) - 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
3. William Parker (NC) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-1, 6-4
4. Oystein Steiro (NC) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Maik Ulrich (NC) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Stuart DePaolo (NC) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) - 6-2, 7-5