The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team posted its fourth-straight win with a 6-1 victory over Wofford today. UTC improves to 13-2 overall and 2-2 in Southern Conference action. The Bulldogs fall to 5-7 and 1-2 in league matches.
The Lady Mocs swept the doubles matches for the third straight matches and the eighth time this season. Junior Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) and freshman Kelsey Coots (Huntsville, Ala.) shutout out Sarah Evans and Mareli (8-0) for the first win at No. 2.
The Lady Mocs clinched the point with sophomore Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) and Jovana Pecovski’s (Apitan, Serbia) 8-6 win over Othilia Lindqvist and Emily Przystawski at No. 3. Sophomore Kaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) and freshman Kayla Jones (Memphis, Tenn.) closed out the doubles with an 8-3 win over Julia Paulson and Lucy Schermerhorn at No. 1.
Coots quickly put Chattanooga up 2-0 with a (6-0, 6-0) shutout over Przystawski at No. 5. She did not allow a single game in singles or doubles today. Jones was almost as impressive with her (6-2, 6-0) win over Sanchez at No. 3. It was the fourth-straight win for both Coots and Jones. Coots is 11-3 in the spring and 19-6 overall while Jones leads the team at 12-1 in the spring and 25-3 overall.
Flynn clinched the match with her (6-4, 6-0) win over Schermerhorn at No. 4. It was her third-straight win as she moves to 7-2 in the spring and 12-8 overall. Junior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) played No. 2 singles for the first time this season, posting a (6-0, 6-2) win over Julia Paulson. Mulyadi also had a (6-2, 6-3) win over Lindqvist at No. 5.
Wofford’s only points came at No. 1 when Chadwell retired. She won the first set, but was sidelined with an injury in the second.
Chattanooga is back on the court tomorrow, hosting Furman at Noon (E.D.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts. Chattanooga is looking to snap a 21-match losing streak to the Paladins. The Lady Mocs last win in the series was a 4-3 victory on April 5, 1997 in Greenville, S.C.
Chattanooga 6, Wofford 1
Mar 23, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Julia Paulson/Lucy Schermerhorn (WOF) 8-3
2. Alexa Flynn/Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Sarah Evans/Mareli Sanchez (WOF) 8-0
3. Claire Mulyadi/Jovana Pecovski (UTC) def. Othilia Lindqvist/Emily Przystawski (WOF) 8-6
1. Sarah Evans (WOF) def. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) 5-7, retired
2. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Julia Paulson (WOF) 6-0, 6-2
3. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Mareli Sanchez (WOF) 6-2, 6-0
4. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Lucy Schermerhorn (WOF) 6-4, 6-0
5. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Emily Przystawski (WOF) 6-0, 6-0
6. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Othilia Lindqvist (WOF) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,4,2,6,1)