CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--- The Chattanooga Mocs men’s golf team is headed to Iowa this weekend for the Golfweek Conference Challenge. The event is Sunday-Tuesday, September 15-17, with 18 holes per day at Spirit Hollow Golf Course in Burlington.
The event features 15 teams, one from 15 different conferences. Along with the Southern Conference, the SEC, Big 12, Pac-12, Big 10, ACC and Mountain West are joined by several others. This is the Mocs second foray in the event finishing second to Arkansas in 2011.
“It’s a good field and we really like the course,” Head Coach Mark Guhne said. “(Stephan) Jaeger got his second win there, and we played pretty well overall.”
Two members of Guhne’s travel squad have experience at Spirit Hollow. Benni Weilguni (Langenlois, Austria) finished tied for 11th (+1, 217) in 2011, while Chris Robb (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) tied for 31st after opening with a three-under 69. Davis Bunn (Knoxville, Tenn.) and freshmen Ewan Scott (St. Andrews, Scotland) and Brooks Thomas (Chattanooga) round out this week’s five.
GOLFWEEK CONFERENCE CHALLENGE – SEPT. 15-17
Chattanooga, Arizona, Ball State, Central Arkansas, Florida Gulf Coast, Houston, Iowa, Jacksonville State, LSU, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas State, Virginia Tech, Winthrop
Dates: Sept. 15-17
Location: Burlington, Iowa
Format: 54 Holes - 18 per day
Course: Spirit Hollow Golf Course (Par 72/7,301 yards)
No. of Teams: 15
2012 Champion: Missouri, -7, 286-286-285=857
Medalist: Jace Long, Missouri, -9, 68-69-70=207
This week’s lineup features three seniors and two freshmen: Davis Bunn (73.33), Chris Robb, Ewan Scott (75.67), Brooks Thomas (76.00) & Benni Weilguni.
LAST TIME OUT
A youthful Mocs squad finished 14th at the Carpet Capital Collegiate. Davis Bunn (Knoxville, Tenn.) led the team tying for 27th (71-74-75=220). The starting five featured one senior and four freshmen.
UTC heads to Macon, Ga., returning to the Brickyard Collegiate Championship. This year’s event is Oct. 4-6 at the Brickyard at Riverside.
• Chattanooga returns four of five starters from last year’s SoCon Championship squad. Gone is 2012 U.S, Amateur Champion Steven Fox (Hendersonville, Tenn.), but PING All-Region performer Chris Robb (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) headlines a very experienced group. Fellow seniors Davis Bunn (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Benni Weilguni (Langelois, Austria) and junior Liam Johnston (Dumfries, Scotland) have won back-to-back league titles and the 2012 NCAA Bowling Green Regional.
• UTC has a nice mix of experience in this week’s lineup. Bunn, Robb and Weilguni are joined by freshmen Ewan Scott (St. Andrews, Scotland) and Brooks Thomas (Chattanooga).
• Bunn, Scott and Thomas were in the lineup for the opener at the Carpet Capital.
• The Mocs have won five of the last seven SoCon titles.
• This is the second entry into the Golfweek Conference Challenge for Chattanooga. The team finished second in 2011 behind Arkansas. Former All-American Stephan Jaeger (2009-12) won the event with a seven-under par 209. Three current Mocs played in the 2011 entry: Johnston, Robb and Weilguni.
• Golfweek Conference Challenge History:
Year: Team Finish & Scores/Top Individual
2011: 2/279-291-296=866/Stephan Jaeger, 1, 67-69-73=209 (-7)
Current Mocs at Spirit Hollow:
Benni Weilguni, T11, 75-69-73=217 (+1)
Chris Robb, T31, 69-78-76=223 (+7)
Liam Johnston, T46, 73-75-79=227 (+11)
• Qualifying for the starting lineup is a fierce competition. This week already marks seven different Mocs earning playing time. Bunn, Scott and Thomas are the holdovers from the Farm. Weilguni topped Johnston in a nine-hole playoff after 36 holes of qualifying to round out the squad.
• Robb is a two-time collegiate winner (2010 Springhill Suites Collegiate & 2012 Bridgestone Golf Collegiate).
• Bunn came on strong during the spring of 2013 with three top 10’s.
• Weilguni is seeing his first action of 2013-14. He just missed a top 10 in the last visit to Spirit Hollow (T11).
• Scott is the most heralded signee in school history. A top junior from St. Andrews, Scotland, earned a nod on the Scottish MEN’S Team for the European Team Amateur and Home Internationals squads. He won the 2012 Scottish Hydro Boys’ Order of Merit.
• Brooks Thomas is the reigning Georgia 3A Champion from Ringgold High School. It was one of four high school wins for the season.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.