The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team won their sixth straight match with their third shutout in a row at Davidson today. The Mocs scored wins in all 10 matches, blanking the Wildcats 7-0.
Chattanooga is 10-2 on the season and 2-0 in SoCon action for the first time since 2002. Davidson drops to 6-10 overall and 1-1 in league matches.
“We played a very focused match today and just went out there and took care of business in singles and doubles,” stated head coach Jeff Clark. “We are happy to get a good road victory, which is always challenging in the SoCon. We look forward to getting back for the second half of the season following spring break.”
UTC jumped out to a 1-0 lead with quick wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Sophomores Kayla Jones and Katie Polk moved to 4-1 at No. 2 with an 8-2 win over Jenna Brunner and Nisha Crouser. Junior Claire Mulyadi and sophomore Kelsey Coots followed that with an 8-3 win over Tamara Hill and Sarah Stein at No. 3.
With the point decided, senior Alexa Flynn and junior Kaylene Chadwell were in a battle to keep their spring record unblemished. It took a tiebreaker, but they defeated Elaina Crummer and Brites Moniz-Soares 8-7 (5) to move to 5-0 at No. 1.
UTC was near perfect in singles, winning all six matches in straight sets. Chadwell needed a tiebreaker in the second frame against Crummer to preserve the shutout with a (6-3, 7-6 (6)) win at No. 2. She and Mulyadi both upped their current win streaks to six consecutive matches.
Jones won her team-high 17th singles match with a (6-1, 6-3) victory over Moniz-Soares at No. 1. Flynn and Coots won at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively. Polk improved to 4-0 in the spring with her win at No. 6.
UTC stays on the road next week with a trip to Kennesaw State. The match is set for 1:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) in Kennesaw, Ga. The next home match is set for Saturday, March 22, against Appalachian State at Noon on the UTC Tennis Courts. A link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, Davidson 0
Mar 12, 2014 at Davidson, N.C. (Covington Tennis Courts)
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Elaina Crummer/Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) - 8-7 (7-5)
2. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Jenna Brunner/Nisha Crouser (DAV) - 8-2
3. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Tamara Hill/Sarah Stein (DAV) - 8-3
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) - 6-1, 6-3
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Elaina Crummer (DAV) - 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Nisha Crouser (DAV) - 6-2, 6-1
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Sarah Stein (DAV) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Jenna Brunner (DAV) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Katie Polk (UTC) def. Tamara Hill (DAV) - 6-1, 6-0