BOONE, N.C. --- The Chattanooga women’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 heartbreaker to Appalachian State Friday afternoon on Boone, N.C., to close out the regular season.
After falling two matches to one to the Mountaineers to make the score 1-0 in favor of ASU, the Lady Mocs won the next three singles matches to take a 3-1 lead, but the Mountaineers would roar back and sweep the final three matches to win the finale.
Appalachian State posted wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles to claim the first point of the match. Olivia Stannard and Gisela Fernandez posted an 8-3 win over Annie Green and Jennemieke van der Veek at No. 1 as did Lindsay King and Blakeley Bean at No. 2 over UTC’s Emily Hangstefer and Kate Ksiezopolski.
Grace Robinette and Charlotte Bossy pulled out an 8-7(7-3) victory at No. 3 against Laura Janke and Amanda Cash to avoid the sweep by Appalachian State.
In singles, the Lady Mocs started the match with Hangstefer’s first collegiate win at the No. 1 position. The Signal Mountain, Tenn., freshman defeated Cash 6-0, 6-3 at the top spot for the tie. Green would follow that with a win over Bean at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1. van der Veek got the Lady Mocs’ third point with a 6-2, 6-1 win over King at No. 2.
However, the Mountaineers would take over and claim the league victory with wins at the next three.
Caroline Mauch and Bossy took their No. 3 match to three sets. Bossy won the first 6-3, but fell 6-2, 6-4 in the final two to cut UTC’s lead to 3-2. Heather Prior posted a 6-3, 7-6(7-4) win at No. 5 against Brianna Wishing to draw the match even and Fernandez won her No. 6 match against Ksiezopolski 6-4, 6-3 to clinch the win.
Appalachian State improves to 9-15 overall and 3-7 in league play while the Lady Mocs fall to 7-14 overall and 2-8 in SoCon action. The Lady Mocs will take a few days off as they prepare for the SoCon Tournament to be held in Elon, N.C., April 23-26.
Appalachian State 4, Chattanooga 3
1. Emily Hangstefer (UTC-W) def. Amanda Cash (ASU) 6-0, 6-3
2. J. van der Veek (UTC-W) def. Lindsay King (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Caroline Mauch (ASU) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC-W) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Annie Green (UTC-W) def. Blakeley Bean (ASU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Heather Prior (ASU) def. Brianna Wishing (UTC-W) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Gisela Fernandez (ASU) def. Kate Ksiezopolski (UTC-W) 6-4, 6-3
1. Olivia Stannard/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) def. Annie Green/J. van der Veek (UTC-W) 8-3
2. Lindsay King/Blakeley Bean (ASU) def. Emily Hangstefer/Kate Ksiezopolski (UTC-W) 8-3
3. Grace Robinette/Charlotte Bossy (UTC-W) def. Laura Janke/Amanda Cash (ASU) 8-7 (7-3)
Chattanooga 7-14 (2-8 SOCON)
Appalachian State 8-15 (3-7 SOCON)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,2,3,5,6)