ELON, N.C. --- The Chattanooga men’s tennis team fell 4-0 to No. 6 seed College of Charleston Thursday afternoon in the first round of the 2009 Southern Conference Men’s Tennis Championships at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on the campus of Elon University.
The Cougars won the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles match to take an immediate 1-0 lead. Omer Abramovich and Joe Nicolazzi blanked Gordon Rudell and Rick van de Bovenkamp 8-0 at the No. 3 spot and Mickael Trintignac and Mickael Boyer posted an 8-3 win over Alex Butnarcuic and Dakota Pate at No. 2. Chattanooga’s Peter Sauska and Pavel Vostrikov were leading Lukas Koncilla and Tom Delme at the top position 5-2 when the doubles point was decided and play was stopped.
In singles action, the Cougars swept the first three matches to clinch the win. At the No. 6 position. Nicolazzi defeated UTC freshman Sam Parfitt 6-0, 6-1. Delme then posted a 6-1, 6-3 win over Pate at No. 4 to give the Cougars a 3-0 lead. Trintignac clinched the win for CofC with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 3.
Chattanooga’s Peter Sauska and Pavel Vostrikov, closing out their collegiate careers, had each posted first set wins before the match was stopped after the Cougars win.
The College of Charleston will move on to play No. 3 Wofford Friday afternoon at the Burlington Tennis Center in Burlington, N.C.
College of Charleston 4, Chattanooga 0
1. Omer Abramovich (COFC) vs. Peter Sauska (UTC) 3-6, 2-0, unfinished
2. Lukas Koncilia (COFC) vs. Pavel Vostrikov (UTC) 4-6, 1-2, unfinished
3. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Alex Butnarcuic (UTC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Tom Delme (COFC) def. Dakota Pate (UTC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Mickael Boyer (COFC) vs. Rick vande Bovenkamp (UTC) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
6. Joe Nicolazzi (COFC) def. Sam Parfitt (UTC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Lukas Koncilia/Tom Delme (COFC) vs. Peter Sauska/Pavel Vostrikov (UTC) 2-5, unfinished
2. Mickael Trintignac/Mickael Boyer (COFC) def. Alex Butnarcuic/Dakota Pate (UTC) 8-3
3. Omer Abramovich/Joe Nicolazzi (COFC) def. Gordon Rudell/Rick vande Bovenkamp (UTC) 8-0
Chattanooga 2-18, 0-10 SoCon
College of Charleston 10-13, 5-5 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,3)