ELON, N.C. --- The Lady Mocs fell 4-0 to Furman Friday morning in the second round of the Southern Conference women’s tennis championships at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center located on the Elon University campus.
The loss ends the season for the Lady Mocs who finished the year at 8-15 overall and 2-8 in league play.
The Lady Paladins claimed the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 3 then went on to get the win sweeping through the first three singles matches in straight set wins.
In doubles, Laura Gioia and Monica Arguella defeated UTC’s Emily Hangstefer and Grace Robinette 8-0 at the No. 1 spot while Jessica Preeg and Susan Bitetti defeated Brianna Wishing and Charlotte Bossy 8-0 at No. 3. Lauren Tomory and Jennifer Betts were leading Chattanooga’s Jennemieke van der Veek and Annie Green 5-2 when doubles completed.
In singles play, the Lady Mocs were unable to get anything going against the top-seeded Lady Paladins. Preeg defeated Bossy 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3 to go up 2-0 then Gioia posted a 6-0, 6-0 win over Hangstefer at the top spot. Bitetti clinched the win for Furman with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Annie Green at No. 4.
In other matches, van der Veek was trailing Arguello 6-2, 1-2 at No. 2, Tomory was leading Wishing 6-2, 4-1 at No. 5 and in the No. 6 match, Kate Ksiezopolski was trailing Brooke Mosteller 6-2, 2-1.
Furman improves to 16-7 overall and will play Davidson Saturday morning at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center at 10 a.m.
Furman 4, Chattanooga 0
1. Laura Gioia (FUR) def. Emily Hangstefer (UTC-W) 6-0, 6-0
2. J. van der Veek (UTC-W) vs. Monica Arguello (FUR) no result
3. Jessica Preeg (FUR) def. Charlotte Bossy (UTC-W) 6-0, 6-0
4. Susan Bitetti (FUR) def. Anne Green (UTC-W) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lauren Tomory (FUR) def. Brianna Wishing (UTC-W) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Brooke Mosteller (FUR) def. Kate Ksiezopolski (UTC-W) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
1. Laura Gioia/Monica Arguello (FUR) def. Emily Hangstefer/Grace Robinette (UTC-W) 8-0
2. J. van der Veek/Anne Green (UTC-W) vs. Lauren Tomory/Jennifer Betts (FUR) no result
3. Jessica Preeg/Susan Bitetti (FUR) def. Brianna Wishing/Charlotte Bossy (UTC-W) 8-0
Chattanooga 8-15, 2-8 SoCon
Furman 16-7, 10-0 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,1,4)